We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Genealogy Visit

Which Glenwood Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 1
Genealogy Visit

We are planning a trip to Glenwood Springs in mid Sept.

We will travel by train and stay at the Hotel Colorado.

Our interest includes a visit to the Frontier Historical Museum and the courthouse.

We already have some background information about our grandparents.

They met and married at the Hotel Glenwood in 1904.

The 1910 census shows them living in Sunlight, Garfield County.

We are also interested in the Cardiff area where our grandmother first lived.

We will probably rent a car to visit these areas.

Any suggestions on a car rental place?

How close would the hotel be to the downtown area?

Any other advice about this area would be greatly appreciated.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 40
1. Re: Genealogy Visit

I love genealogy and this sounds like a great vacation as well. The hotel is about 1/2 mile to the downtown area, not sure about sidewalks etc though. There are car rental places nearby, ask at the hotel. I think Enterprise will come pick you up and take you to the rental office. I had to look up Cardiff, interesting history.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 193
2. Re: Genealogy Visit

There are 2 car rental companies - Enterprise and Budget/Alamo (different names, same company). I know Enterprise will pick you up at your hotel, no problems getting there. Budget is on the edge of town, not near the hotel so you would have to see if they would deliver it to you or not. Otherwise you would need to take the bus or taxi to their office.

The hotel is downtown. Walking distance to everything, including the hot springs pool (pedestrian bridge over the river to that part of town). Everything is very walkable. It's a lovely old historic hotel, hope you have a great time there.

Edited: 12:37 pm, June 21, 2014
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
3. Re: Genealogy Visit

Ooops, I thought you said Hotel Denver (not fully awake obviously) but still this is doable. The hotel is still very old and very lovely but just not downtown. The pedestrian bridge I mentioned will take you downtown, a very easy walk.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 120
4. Re: Genealogy Visit

How interesting! Sounds like fun. The Hotel Colorado is a great place to stay, IMO, especially if you like historic hotels. Sometimes you can get a tour of the hotel or a ghost tour--very interesting! We enjoyed dinner on the patio and breakfast there at the hotel on a visit not too long ago, and Fiesta Guadalajara is nearby if you like Mexican food.

The Hotel Colorado is just across the Interstate and the river from the north end of downtown, not far from the train station. Google puts it at about .3 mi. But Glenwood is kinda spread out to the west and all along Hwy 82. So some things would be in walking distance and others not.

Enterprise would be the closest car rental. The hotel says they are about 3-4 blocks from there.

By mid-September we may have some fall color, so a drive to Aspen or to Redstone and then up McClure Pass would be lovely.

When we pass through Glenwood, we are most often on our way somewhere so I don't have the best suggestions for dining. Would suggest you use the search feature for "restaurants" or "where to eat" and of course click the Restaurants tab at the top of the page.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
5. Re: Genealogy Visit

There is a great Polish restaurant right across the street (sort of) from the hotel. Run by a Polish family and it is soooo good. Polanka is the name and here's my review - tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Cardiff probably won't have anything to see, it appears to be right smack dab in the middle of the Glenwood Springs Municipal Airport. …hometownlocator.com/co/garfield/cardiff.cfm

Sunlight may be in either the Sunlight subdivision or 4 Mile Ranch area. Either one will be very nice homes. Not a place to just wander around, you'll be watched, they all have neighborhood watches.

I just don't want you to think this will be like the old west. This is paradise paved over and developed. They all have some very nice views so make sure and bring your camera. If you want to see the coke ovens that might have been around when your family lived there then go to Redstone, they have some just off the main road and as missp mentioned in Sept. that's a glorious drive.

Colorado
reviews: 3
6. Re: Genealogy Visit

We took the train to Glenwood from Denver. It was an easy walk from train station to Hotel Colorado. Your train ride thru Glenwood is one of the most beautiful train rides in the country.

colorado
reviews: 92
7. Re: Genealogy Visit

Most of your questions have been answered--I will just throw in a suggestion for dinner-if you like Italian, try the Italian Underground. It is always one of my favorites when we're in town. It's still walking distance, kind of tricky to find, small but the food is delicious!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 242
8. Re: Genealogy Visit

Glenwood is a great spot with lots of fun restaurants. Good suggestions so far. We like The Pullman, located just across the highway from your hotel.

Have fun.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
9. Re: Genealogy Visit

Actually, the Pullman is across from the Hotel Denver, same mistake I made Tumbleweed. But still within walking distance as is the Italian Underground. Both of these are probably pricier than the Polish place if that makes any difference.

Ohio
reviews: 1
10. Re: Genealogy Visit

All of your replies are much appreciated as well as the restaurant suggestions. Thanks!