We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which bike trail? Easy, about 3-4 hours...

Which Glenwood Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pass Christian...
reviews: 71
Which bike trail? Easy, about 3-4 hours...

We're planning to rent bikes for 3-4 hours in Glenwood Springs on a Saturday afternoon in May.

We're in decent shape, but looking for a fairly flat route. We don't have a lot of time, and we're planning about 12 miles of hiking the day before, so we're just looking to chill and take in some good scenery. I don't think we want to do a shuttle trip, (could possibly be convinced otherwise) and we're planning to hike to Hanging Lake early the next morning.

A quick search turned up the Rio Grande trail -- we'd love the chance to see bald eagles, but not sure how far out of Glenwood Springs they are? Are there many stops for road crossings?

Also, any reccos for a rental place? How late are bike rental places open to return the bikes?

Thanks!!

6 replies to this topic
Colorado
reviews: 8
1. Re: Which bike trail? Easy, about 3-4 hours...

The paved trail through the canyon is a great ride, you are right near the river most of the ride and it's a unique perspective on the canyon. It is uphill going east, but it's pretty tame elevation gain, and you can turn around at any time.

Pass Christian...
2. Re: Which bike trail? Easy, about 3-4 hours...

Okay, thanks! I'm glad you said the Glenwood Canyon Trail provides a unique perspective of the canyon. Since it follows I-70 so closely I was wondering if 1) it's similar views anyway and 2) if it the nearby traffic takes away from the views/experience..?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 200
3. Re: Which bike trail? Easy, about 3-4 hours...

We love the trail along I-70. It's easy, flat, scenic. You're not at all bothered by the highway. In fact, in many places you can't even tell it's there.

Have fun.

Illinois
reviews: 50
4. Re: Which bike trail? Easy, about 3-4 hours...

I thought about the Rio Grande Trail when we visited GS, but ended up not doing that ride, so can't comment on it. We've done the Glenwood Canyon Trail twice (using the shuttle), and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. It's interesting - I thought the highway added to the experience in a strange kind of way - seeing the semi trucks close to where we were riding was fascinating. We saw some trains on the nearby tracks, as well as many rafters along the river.

We rented bikes from Canyon Bikes, and had a very good experience with them. I checked their hours: 9-5 before Memorial Day, and 8-8 after Memorial Day. Have fun!

http://canyonbikes.com/faq

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
reviews: 85
5. Re: Which bike trail? Easy, about 3-4 hours...

Here is a trip report with lots of helpful information about biking both the Rio Grande and Glenwood Canyon trails. See the entries for 9/20 and 9/21.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k58676…

Pass Christian...
6. Re: Which bike trail? Easy, about 3-4 hours...

Thanks, everyone! We'll probably do the Canyon trail. Sounds like maybe Rio Grande Trail is better by Aspen than Glenwood Springs...?

Trip report to follow in about a month -- can hardly wait for our trip!!! (Denver-> Moab-> Denver)

Reply to: Which bike trail? Easy, about 3-4 hours...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted