We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glenwood springs to breckenridge.

Which Glenwood Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lowell, Michigan
Glenwood springs to breckenridge.

Is there a car rental place in Glenwood Springs so we could drive to Breckenridge to see our son?

4 replies to this topic
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 100
1. Re: Glenwood springs to breckenridge.

Yes. I haven't rented there before, but google tells me there's a Budget and an Enterprise, and there could be others.

Welcome to the Colorado Trip Advisor forums, by the way.

I saw your other post about trains through the canyon...were you planning on arriving in Glenwood Springs by Amtrak train? I think it would take approximately the same amount of time to drive from Denver to Breckenridge as from Glenwood to Breckenridge. The train also stops at Fraser, which is a little closer in miles but probably about the same drive time, depending on weather and road conditions. Will this be a summer trip or a winter trip?

Edited: 11:50 pm, January 26, 2014
Worldwide
reviews: 536
2. Re: Glenwood springs to breckenridge.

When I first enquire about car rentals in the US, I usually include the major Web agencies, like Travelocity and Orbitz, as they often come up with interesting suggestions. (I have also booked through them on occasion with no problem, but read the fine print - which you should do anyway for car rentals in a "strange" country w.r.t. "insurance", "driving rules - e.g. no off-road use" etc.)

When I tried a dummy booking for Glenwood, returning to Glenwood, Travelocity offered me Enterprise (Enterprise shows the location as on 6th Avenue, walking distance from the Hotel Colorado) - and no other company. Orbitz came back with pickup at Eagle County Airport Terminal (rather inconvenient). When I tried for a one-way Glenwood to Breckenridge, Travelocity came back with pickup at Eagle County Airport Terminal; Orbitz came back with no suggestion on the dummy booking dates I tried (but might offer something for different dates - you could try for your preferred dates..).

Renting in a mountain town is likely to be much more expensive than renting in a larger city like Denver. Also, one may want to consider service levels from small agencies, vs. from corporate sites - w.r.t. backup in case of problems (which are uncommon, but do happen occasionally and can be a minor nightmare if they *do* happen).

There's another option, which is likely cheaper, and perhaps more convenient. Take Greyhound intercity bus between Glenwood Springs and Frisco, then Summit County Stage local bus service between Frisco and Breckenridge. Greyhound reported that it runs twice daily between Glenwood Springs and Frisco (3:50AM and 2:50PM, taking 2 hours, and charging ~$22 {but refine your booking for the number of travellers, as seniors and "companions" may get discounts..}. Summit County Stage local service is gratis. Or your son may prefer to pick you up in Frisco and show you around from there..

http://www.co.summit.co.us/index.aspx?NID=586

http://www.co.summit.co.us/index.aspx?NID=360

Lowell, Michigan
3. Re: Glenwood springs to breckenridge.

Summer trip. We were planning on leaving from Grand Rapids, MI. I think the train goes to Denver and then from Denver to Glenwood Springs. We wanted to stay a few days in Glenwood and then head to Breck to see our son and daughter in law.

Lowell, Michigan
4. Re: Glenwood springs to breckenridge.

Thank you. You have been very helpful and the idea of the bus may work for us.

Reply to: Glenwood springs to breckenridge.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glenwood Springs