We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Glenwood Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lowell, Michigan
5 posts

Is there a train ride from Glenwood Springs into Glenwood Canyon?

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Trains

Like a tourist train? I don't think so. Haven't seen or heard of one. Amtrak does run through there, though.

Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
8,508 posts
124 reviews
2. Re: Trains

The California Zephyr route of Amtrak is what you should look for if you want to ride the train between Glenwood Springs and Denver. Interstate 70 and Amtrak run through Glenwood Canyon.

Wheatie's correct...there isn't a tourist train through Glenwood Canyon but the Amtrak route is much the same thing if you want to ride just a portion of the route, spend the night, and ride back the following day.

Level Contributor
2,743 posts
853 reviews
3. Re: Trains

Amtrak train and Greyhound bus both run through Glenwood Canyon on adjacent rail tracks and highway. The challenge would be to put together a convenient return trip, if that's what you want to do, as the trains pass each other going in opposite directions. Here's Amtrak's schedule:

Here's Amtrak's route guide

If I were planning such a trip, I would try this:

1. Day 1: Train or bus from Denver to Glenwood Springs or Grand Junction. Overnight in Glenwood or GJ. Glenwood gets you a very nice downtown, hotels and the Glenwood Hot Springs Pool all within a short walk of the train station. There's a local bus as well - including to Aspen. No need for a car if you prefer not to bother with one. Grand Junction gets you wine tours, Colorado National Monument, etc. A rental car there would be good to reach those attractions - and could be found locally.

2. Day 2 (or subsequent day): Train or bus back to Denver, to Salt Lake City, or other. (or Breckenridge as per your other post?)

Lowell, Michigan
5 posts
4. Re: Trains

I'll have to check and see what else GJ has to offer. Sounds like a nice place.

5. Re: Trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 05, 2015