We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver to Apsen

Which Glenwood Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
reviews: 3
Denver to Apsen

I use to live in Glenwood Springs about 30 years ago and would like to fly into Denver, then rent a car to drive Loveland Pass to Glenwood Springs. Then we want to go to Aspen. Our goal is to catch the peak of fall. I can't seem to remember when this arrives or find it online. We then will drive to Utah and on to Santa Fe. Can anyone advise what time in September would be the best to catch the fall color?

Edited: 10:31 pm, July 02, 2013
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 232
1. Re: Denver to Apsen

It will vary year to year and in region. But if you are later in September or early in October you should do well. I'm sure you'll get many other opinions. Beautiful time of year.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 54
2. Re: Denver to Apsen

you might read this thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k57184…

Glenwood Springs...
reviews: 36
3. Re: Denver to Apsen

As the previous poster mentioned, it really varies from year to year, depending on the climate. If it stays as dry as it has been, we will most likely see colors change early. If we get late summer moisture, then the fall colors may hold off. I would guess that mid to late September might be best, but that is subject to change with the weather. We had one year where we got an early freeze followed by rain & wind. The colors went from pale yellow to brown and then the wind took them all down. If you can hold off on setting the dates until August, you might have a better chance of catching it a peak.

San Diego...
4. Re: Denver to Apsen

Thank you! Do you think the pass with have snow then?

San Diego...
5. Re: Denver to Apsen

Thank you so much. I was worried about snow in the pass too.

San Diego...
6. Re: Denver to Apsen

Thank you! I see you are from Utah. In Aspen ( going to a cabin I lived in at Glenwood Springs, driving up Basalt mountain, hiking hanging lake, driving to Maroon Bells, and walk Aspen proper day and night) , then off to Utah. Do you have any ideas of what to drive to see in Utah, with just 2 days before we head to Santa Fe and friends. My husband thinks we can do this trip in just 5-7 days but I am thinking 10-14. What do you think is realistic? We will spend 2 days in Santa Fe with friends and fly home from there.

Edited: 3:46 pm, July 03, 2013
Grand Junction...
reviews: 124
7. Re: Denver to Apsen

Aspen is higher in attitude as are the passes. might consider second last and last weekend in September.

if you are flexible i will post a color report as from the second week of September on we motorbike the color change as we chase it through the elevations

8. Re: Denver to Apsen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 12, 2014