We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback riding options. We are staying in Fort Collins.

Which Fort Collins hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Richland...
reviews: 3
Horseback riding options. We are staying in Fort Collins.

We are traveling to Fort Collins the first week of July this summer. I would like to take the family on a trail ride but am not sure where is the best location. I have researched several online but what I don't know is. What area would be my best trip? Should we travel down to Estes Park? I have always it's a beautiful park. Or should we go to Rocky Mountain National Park? There are also rides near Fort Collins where we are staying. I want this to be a really beautiful ride. It is not about just riding horses because we are from Texas and have horses at home to ride. It is more about the beautiful area on horse back.

I would greatly appreciate any input anyone has on where to go and what company to use.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
reviews: 93
1. Re: Horseback riding options. We are staying in Fort Collins.

Hello again. Estes Park is the town literally adjacent to the eastern side of RMNP. You will be going up to Estes Park by about 2500 ft. from Fort Collins. You do not want to miss Rocky Mountain National Park. It is an easy day trip from Fort Collins. I do it all the time from Windsor--I have a Fort Collins zip code.

There are actually only 2 horseback riding stables inside RMNP. Sombero runs both of those, Moraine Campground and Glacier Basin. The other stables begin their rides from Estes Park and some ride into RMNP or Roosevelt National Forest.

You do not need a horseback ride to see amazingly beautiful scenery and wildlife in RMNP. One of the great things about RMNP is just how accessible it is. The roads through the park with all the overlooks and pullouts, picnic areas and short easy trails provide access to waterfalls, alpine lakes, high mountain peaks, huge granite monoliths, wildflower filled meadows (usually at peak around the first week of July) and great chances to see wildlife. Even if you want to take a horseback ride, plan to see areas of RMNP the horseback ride will not cover.

The first week of July is absolutely the busiest week all year in Estes Park and RMNP. For that reason, I would choose a ride from stables outside RMNP and Estes Park. Check out Sombrero's Allenspark stables. They are in a less visited area of RMNP (if there is such a thing the first week of July). This is an area (Wild Basin) you would not see from the roads in RMNP.

www.sombrero.com/custompages/allenspark.asp

If you need a fun day trip from Fort Collins to RMNP without a horse, I can give you an itinerary.

2. Re: Horseback riding options. We are staying in Fort Collins.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, June 20, 2014