We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Itinerary options for Durango to 4 Corners

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hilliard, Ohio...
reviews: 2
Best Itinerary options for Durango to 4 Corners

We are finally planning my daughters 13th birthday trip and now have some solid dates. I am looking for some guidance on the nest itinerary to cover the key things we would like to do in the most efficient manner considering drive times, etc. We will arrive in Durango, CO on June 12th (Thursday) around noon and we are departing from Durango on June 16th (Monday) at 3:00pm. We know we want to visit the 4 Corners monument (don't try to talk me out of it, I know, I know...but she really really wants to go) and the other thing on our must do list is the Soaring Tree Tops Adventure day long zip line via the Durango/Silverton train. Other than that, we are open. Any suggestions on an itinerary - what we should do and see in what order? We rented a car and currently we have a hotel booked for all 4 nights in Durango - but I am open to staying in different locations if it makes more sense. Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 34
1. Re: Best Itinerary options for Durango to 4 Corners

I would visit Mesa Verde NP at least one day, possibly driving over to 4 Corners. Maybe look at spending the night in Cortez to see both MVNP and 4 Corners.

Day 1 - arrive noon, visit Durango. Maybe float trip, tubing (if water is low enough) shopping etc

Day 2 - Soaring Tree Tops

Day 3 - Possibly drive to Silverton, jeep tour etc

Day 4 - Mesa Verde NP all day, stay in Cortez then see 4 Corners Monument either later in the day or next morning

Day 5 - 4 Corners Monument, then back to Durango to head home.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 82
2. Re: Best Itinerary options for Durango to 4 Corners

Or...

Day 1. Arrive noon, drive to Mesa Verde if you can get a room at Far View Lodge. Get ranger tickets for Cliff Palace or Balcony House for next morning or possibly attend evening Cliff Palace tour. See the visitor center and some of the sites on the Cliff Top Loop. If not doing the evening Cliff Palace tour, then attend a ranger talk and stargaze.

Alternate: Get a room in Cortez. Stop at Mesa Verde Visitor Center on the way and get your ranger tour tickets for next day...midmorning or early afternoon. Drive to Four Corners, then back to Cortez for the night.

Day 2. Ranger led tour, then head for Four Corners. Back to Durango.

Alternate: Mesa Verde this morning, then back to Durango. Melodrama this evening, or Chuckwagon Dinner. Another fun activity is a dinner horseback ride rimrockoutfitters.com/come-riding/…

Day 3. Float trip or tubing, horseback riding, fun at Durango Mountain Resort, Silverton, jeep tour to Animas Forks ghost town...lots to choose from!

Day 4. Soaring Tree Tops (What fun!!!)

Day 5. Sleep in, have a nice breakfast or brunch, do some shopping, walk along the river, etc.

Edited: 11:40 pm, April 21, 2014
Reply to: Best Itinerary options for Durango to 4 Corners
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted