We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durango rafting..which company/boat?

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Riverside...
reviews: 10
Durango rafting..which company/boat?

Hi,

I will be in Durango mid July with my husband and 2 sons ( 27 and 23...23YO has Down Syndrome but very active ). The day we arrive, we want to do the early afternoon 4hour rafting trip and I have been researching the different companies. While it looks like most of them have good/great reviews and similar pricing, I was wondering if the locals had a preference. I have looked at 7 different companies and some offer a premium boat which is supposed to be lower in the water for a better ride.... In July, would the lower water flow make this a good suggestion? Also, 4 Corners Whitewater offers a 4-1 guide ratio and Flexible Flyers offers a 15% discount for booking by April 1st with a full refund if cancelled before 48 hours, where others charge a 10% fee to cancel.

SO, should I look at them all as basically equal and choose by boat option, guide ratio or pricing?

I appreciate any and all advice, opinions and help! THANKS!

10 replies to this topic
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 83
1. Re: Durango rafting..which company/boat?

I hope you hear from lots of people with great suggestions! I'm not a rafter so can't give you much input myself. Looks like you are doing the same research I'd do if I were shopping. Also, read their websites and their frequently asked questions. See how much experience they require their guides to have. How long have they been in business? What equipment is included? One more thing you might do is to look at the Trip Advisor reviews...did you know you can send private messages to those who've posted reviews? You might get additional information that way.

Which trip are you considering? Is your 23 year old a strong swimmer? How do you think he'd react if he were to fall in the water?

Let us know what you decide and then please report back after your trip! This is a very good question and has been covered in some of the other rafting areas but not so much for Durango.

Riverside...
2. Re: Durango rafting..which company/boat?

Thanks for your reply. I have looked at the companies' websites and read their FAQ's. They usually give generalized info regarding how skilled and trained their guides are. They all seem to think their guides are "The Best", which is hopefully how they really feel!

My 23 year old is a good swimmer. We have a pool and he has been swimming since he was 2 and is a little "fish". We returned from a 2 week trip to Hawaii last month where he spend almost every day swimming/body boarding in the ocean. He loves the water. I'm sure if he fell in, he'd be like most kids, wide-eyed and looking for a way to get back in the boat.

Right now I am leaning a little toward the Flexible Flyers ( if all things are equal ) only because of their cancellation policy since there is a small chance that my 27 year old might not be able to go, but we won't know until closer to July. If someone thinks that I should stay clear of them for whatever reason, please let me know! I am definitely willing to lose the small cancellation fee if there is a better company out there!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 83
3. Re: Durango rafting..which company/boat?

Well, I hope things work out well for your trip. Sounds like your family will really enjoy rafting. I'll ask around here to see if anyone I know has rafted in Durango.

Riverside...
4. Re: Durango rafting..which company/boat?

Well we just returned from our trip to Durango. I ended up booking with Flexible Flyers for a half-day Lower Animas trip . I had booked early so I got a 15% discount. For 4 of us, it came to $152.60 ( they charge $3 to use a credit card ). The water level was low so the rapids weren't too exciting, but all the companies would have the same issues. Our guide was nice and knew a lot about the area. That is where the good stuff ends. The company is not very professional. When given my PFD, it smelled like BO! EWWW !!! When we were finished and had taken the rafts out, we had to wait at least 20-30 minutes for the van to come pick us up. Then the van ran out of gas on our way back and we had to wait for someone to go get gas and bring it to us.

I booked our trip back in March and I had emailed over a week prior to our trip to confirm our reservation, and no one got back to me. So less than a week out, I called and the girl who answered the phone didn't seem to think that I had a reservation, so she added us to the trip :O There are several other companies that run the river and if I ever go back, I will definitely use someone else. Just to clarify, the rafting part was probably the same as the other companies, but the Flexible Flyers operation leaves a lot to be desired! I guess you get what you pay for!

Tyler, Texas
reviews: 70
5. Re: Durango rafting..which company/boat?

We had a good trip with Mild to Wild

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 160
6. Re: Durango rafting..which company/boat?

Hope you add your opinion to the review page for Flexible Flyers since this forum will fade away. Here's the link for that. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33397-d38…

Edited: 1:25 pm, July 18, 2014
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
7. Re: Durango rafting..which company/boat?

And for writing a review for Mild to Wild - tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33397-d14…

Tyler, Texas
reviews: 70
8. Re: Durango rafting..which company/boat?

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Riverside...
9. Re: Durango rafting..which company/boat?

Yes, I added a review to the Flexible Flyers page, but it hasn't been posted yet....

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
10. Re: Durango rafting..which company/boat?

Good,sorry I missed the 2012 review. That happens when DH is already in the car waiting for me (as usual). Hopefully I'll be in Durango this fall & so will look more closely at everyone's reviews.

Reply to: Durango rafting..which company/boat?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted