We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Durango to Telluride this weekend?

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis, Tennessee
reviews: 42
Driving Durango to Telluride this weekend?

Hi all

We've always driven into Telluride from Montrose. May have to drive in from Durango this trip. I've read all the threads but, am hoping for a very up to date opinion on the current road condition and any tips or advice for the route for this coming weekend. Also, what is the most accurate Colorado road app to use to stay informed on weather & road conditions? We will be in an SUV.

Many thanks,

Ttj

2 replies to this topic
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 100
1. Re: Driving Durango to Telluride this weekend?

I see that you haven't had any replies yet, so maybe no one has seen this who has driven the road recently. I haven't, but can tell you that in general it is a fairly easy drive. Lizard Head Pass can get snow and blowing snow, (and can be closed occasionally) but the road is good through there...wide, no steep drop-offs. There are some sections after that with drop-offs, but most have guard rails and good shoulders. If you don't hear from someone, maybe you could check with your hotel to see if they have any updates from anyone.

Since I live in the dark ages of technology and don't have a smart phone, I can't recommend an app but would assume that the mobile app at www.cotrip.org would be one you'd want to have. www.cotrip.org is Colorado's road report website, and you can take a look at their cameras. The Durango-Telluride route doesn't have nearly as many cameras as you find along the Interstates, but there are cameras at Rico and Telluride.

Memphis, Tennessee
reviews: 42
2. Re: Driving Durango to Telluride this weekend?

Thank you so much for replying! I really appreciate it. :-)

Reply to: Driving Durango to Telluride this weekend?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted