We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver to Grand Canyon via Durango route

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Denver to Grand Canyon via Durango route

We are driving from Denver to the Grand Canyon with an overnight stay in Durango. What can we quickly stop and see while "driving by"? Someone told me about "Four Corners".

Level Contributor
46 posts
154 reviews
1. Re: Denver to Grand Canyon via Durango route

OK so I typed this up and saw you are staying in Durango...my bad. If you have to return a different way see below...but do you know which route you are taking through Durango? There are a few different ways you can go...

Lots to see and do along the way. Since you say, "driving by" I will limit my advice to short stops of 15 minutes, not 3 hr hikes like Hanging Lake or Glenwood Hot Springs for a dip.

Just before you head up the mountains outside Golden, you can stop and see the world famous Red Rocks amphitheater about 5 minutes off I-70

So you are likely to drive I-70. Just over 2 hours from the airport you can walk through Vail provided you can quickly find a place to park. It is a unique setting.

Driving through Glenwood Canyon (Just East of Glenwood Springs) is a unique experience so make sure you do it during the day.

Make sure to take Highway 128 in Utah vs the more traveled route of 191 as you exit I70 in Utah and head towards Moab. This goes along the Colorado River and through beautiful canyons. Again, make sure this stretch is during the daylight hours.

Just south of Moab is Wilson Arch. http://coloradoguy.com/wilson-arch/utah.htm You can take pictures from the side of the road or hike up to it.

4 corners is a little out of the way but you can certainly make the jog in that direction if you wanted. I would likely take 163 through Mexican Hat which is a unique rock formation. This route takes you through Monument Valley which is a unique setting and where Forest Gump ended his run.

If you have more time or want a different route on the return. Go through Durango and Silverton and 4 corners is a little more convenient.

Those are the stops I can think of. Enjoy the drive!

Edited: 9:35 am, February 07, 2014
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
8,503 posts
124 reviews
2. Re: Denver to Grand Canyon via Durango route

I think you're going to wish you allowed more time in Colorado!

Four Corners is a little out of the way and there's really not much to see. People stop there for the uniqueness of being in (on?) the spot where four state corners meet.

Depending on which route you take, it doesn't take a lot of time to get some quick views of either the Great Sand Dunes Natl Park near Alamosa or the Black Canyon of the Gunnison Natl Park just east of Montrose, although if you go the Montrose route I'd recommend spending the night in Montrose, Ridgway, Ouray, or Telluride.

When is this trip?

3. Re: Denver to Grand Canyon via Durango route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, February 09, 2015