We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on Route late May - Denver - Durango - Denver

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
IL
reviews: 56
Suggestions on Route late May - Denver - Durango - Denver

Thinking about flying into Denver, renting car and driving to Grand Junction then South to Durango through Telluride and Ouray with side trips from there.

Just wondering about the return route to Denver. If we headed over to Pagosa Springs - would the roads be ok from there North on 285 - or is there a better route. We could do Pagosa Spr. as a side trip from Durango, since we will be there a week.

Is a side trip to Monument Valley too far as a day trip from Durango? We could possibly do that first - sort of wanting to stay at that beautiful new Hotel in the Valley anyway for one night and do a tour through the area.

Guess I am just looking for route suggestions. We will have 10 days for sure - possibly 2 weeks. Would there be any advantage to flying into a different airport? Not a small airport though :0)

thanks all.

15 replies to this topic
IL
11. Re: Suggestions on Route late May - Denver - Durango - Denver

Dave - thanks for sharing those train and grocery tips :0) I am putting many of these good tips into my 'trip folder' that I make up for each trip. Anal that way :0)

Columbia, Maryland
reviews: 2
12. Re: Suggestions on Route late May - Denver - Durango - Denver

2 more ideas for things to do in Durango depending on when you are going:

Durango Melodrama - I think they start the 2nd week in June and go through August

http://www.durangomelodrama.com/

Bar D Chuckwagon Supper and Cowboy Show - not sure when they start and when they stop for the year

http://www.bardchuckwagon.com/

And 1 in Silverton

Old 100 Gold Mine Tour

http://www.minetour.com/

Edited: 1:45 pm, February 05, 2014
IL
13. Re: Suggestions on Route late May - Denver - Durango - Denver

Dave: Duly noted :0)

IL
14. Re: Suggestions on Route late May - Denver - Durango - Denver

okay - officially - trip will be 8 days. Arriving Denver 4 p.m. and will stop for the night in Evergreen. From there heading to Durango for a week. Will likely NOT see Monument Valley this trip. May forgo Silverton train as well - since we have done similar train trips in WA and TN - will do white water raft trip and a Jeep tour instead. Also Mesa Verde as a day trip.

Is the route from Grand Juction to Durango on 550 a good choice? We drove that route 40 years ago - :0) We will try to stop in Silverton on way to Durango for a look/see. We will leave Evergreen Sun. morning and our condo check in is 4 p.m. Is that enough time to make any stops along the way, and if so, what are your favorites? Should we stop in Silverton on way to Durango or should we take a day for a visit as a 'day trip' later? Is it worth a day?

For return to Denver - Would you recommend heading to Pagosa Springs and North from there? We have an evening flight so a hotel should not be necessary. How many hours should we figure for the return to Denver? 7 p.m. flight.

thanks much!!!

IL
15. Re: Suggestions on Route late May - Denver - Durango - Denver

As per DavefromCo: From Denver take 285 to Buena Vista. Stay on 285 to US 160 to Durango. From Durango 550 north to 50 to Grand Junction. From Grand Junction, I70 to Denver.

Looks like this is the most direct route from Denver - shortest too. Since we made the trip through Ouray and Grand Jct. years ago, we may just drive to/from Durango via 285 to B. Vista thru Pagosa each way - making a day trip to Silverton and Mesa Verde.Is this route fairly scenic? I know the other way thru Gr. Jct and Ouray is outstanding - but we are probably going to need to save the travel time going and coming. Wish we had scheduled one more day for travel to/from Durango - too late now.

Thanks for all the suggestions on things to do and routing. I had to go back and re-read all these posts and played with the routes on Mapquest for a while. Decisions, decisions!

Reply to: Suggestions on Route late May - Denver - Durango - Denver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted