We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route from Col. Springs to Durango in November?

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
reviews: 19
Best Route from Col. Springs to Durango in November?

We will be vacationing in Col. Springs around Thanksgiving. We plan to head to Durango to spend a few nights there. What would be the best way to get there during that time of year. We are not used to driving in snowy/icy conditions and I am not sure what the weather is like at that time of year. Thanks!

Colorado
reviews: 8
1. Re: Best Route from Col. Springs to Durango in November?

Start practicing you snow driving :-)

In a normal year that's prime snowfall time for the SW area. The

best way is down 25 then head west on 160. Wolf Creek pass would be the only tough part, but it's one of the better constructed passes (seeing as they've been doing construction on it for like 5 years!!). You should call CDOT or check the cotrip.org website to make sure you won't need chains or 4wd.

I think the only other route is to go west out 70, then eventually make your way down 550 through Ouray. That's a much more "scenic" route, meaning the road is not nearly has wide as 160, and they haven't gotten around to installing guard rails in many places. I wouldn't drive that route in the winter w/o 4wd.

Louisiana
reviews: 19
2. Re: Best Route from Col. Springs to Durango in November?

Thanks for the info. I think we will not be going to Durango. After I read your reply, I called the Durango Tourism Information Office and was told that it would probably be very snowy at that time and that if I did not have a 4WD vehicle, I would probably not be allowed to cross Wolf Creek Pass. Looks like I'll have to find another place to end my vacation. I'll just have to return at another time of year to visit Durango.