We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silverton transport ?

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 5
Silverton transport ?

Is it possible to get transport back from Silverton to Durango later than the Railroad or its associated Bus allows ?

I'd like to spend more than the couple of hours in Silverton that the Railroad package allows.

Ramblesider

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 106
1. Re: Silverton transport ?

Silverton and Durango are also served by Greyhound Bus/TNM&O so you could check their schedule. www.greyhound.com

Some people ride the train back and forth one day and then drive to Silverton to spend more time.

I know that there are some adventure tour companies that combine a half day jeep or ATV tour with the train, so you might check with some of them to see if they might shuttle you to or from Silverton. i.e. outlawtours.com or google Durango adventure tours.

If you don't hear from someone else who knows of other options, you might try emailing the Railroad or the Silverton Chamber of Commerce.

When will you be visiting?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
2. Re: Silverton transport ?

I just looked at their website.. new this year is a season pass for $99 (only $20 more than a 1 time ride). You could use this to ride up on the first train... stay awhile and return on the last train at 3:30 or stay in Silverton for the night and ride back the next day.

I would contact them for more info.

www.durangotrain.com

London
3. Re: Silverton transport ?

To answer repliers - with many thanks -

misspWestSlope_CO

I have tried Greyhound before, by their website doesn't recognise "Silverton" ??

My tour plan only allows one (longer) day - but as a Jeep Tour would be a nice from Silverton, its a neat idea to ask if they might take us back to Durango.

CasaAzul

I hadn't spotted the $99 Railroad option, but this doesn't actually help us get back later the same day which is my strong preference. We are in the area in early October, when Railroad arrivals in Silverton are 11.45am earliest and latest departures are 2.45pm - not long enough to do more than lunch and a walk round town.

My preference is to railroad up on that first train, then bus back at dusk.

I'm waiting to hear from durangotrain, but as later buses are clearly not on offer from them - I wonder why not ?? - I'm not optimistic.

Ramblesider

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
4. Re: Silverton transport ?

Wonder why greyhound doesn't recognize Silverton? Wierd. Call them: 1-822-234-2222

I put in Durango to Silverton and it comes up with departure at 6:40 and arrival in Silverton at 8:10 am. Would that fit the train schedule when you are traveling? Could you go to Silverton on the bus and travel back by train?

You're right, though, I couldn't get it to take Silverton when you reverse the route.

London
5. Re: Silverton transport ?

Thanks misspWestSlope_CO for pursuing this.

Much prefer using Railroad in the morning - after all this must be the highlight of the day - then hopefully a good look at Silverton plus maybe a hike or a shorter Jeep Tour before returning to Durango before the sun sets (in October ?) in the Jeep or a speedy bus.

Therefore it hadn't occurred to me to checkout morning buses - and not keen to consider this.

Regret phoning Greyhound isn't an option from London, UK - but will hunt out their email now I know they at least do run buses here.

Ramblesider

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
6. Re: Silverton transport ?

Sorry, Ramblesider, I wasn't thinking about the toll free number not working internationally. I called and the agent said the reason Silverton doesn't work online is that there's not really a terminal there so you can't buy a ticket, but you can buy a ticket by phone or when you get to Durango. However, the southbound bus stops in Silverton briefly and departs at 6:10 in the morning, arriving Durango at 7:30. So that won't help you either, unless you want to stay the night in Silverton.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
7. Re: Silverton transport ?

You may want to look at a tour that includes a jeep tour and train. Here's one that might work, though not exactly what you wanted...

sanjuanbackcountry.com/minetrainpackage.html

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 36
8. Re: Silverton transport ?

You have already gotten the good news and the bad news. The reason you can't get information about Silverton, is that TNM&O operates independently from Greyhound.

Here is a website with some information (pan down to the last paragraph before the pictures). The "timing" of their north-south, south-north runs up and down US550, do not seem to be that beneficial for your needs.

But, it never hurts to ask. :-)

9. Re: Silverton transport ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, October 19, 2009