We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visitng Denver

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 2
1st time visitng Denver

I am planning on visiting Denver, CO in July 2014. While I am there, I am planning on visiting 16th street; denver art museum, and other downtown attractions. I am planning on staying at the Hyatt downtown. Can you let me know if the downtown area is safe. I would not be renting a car, so I am wondering if I would be able to get to these sights by walking. I would also like any feedback or tips on vacationing in Denver during the summer. My son who is 15 years will be travelling with me. Thanks.

9 replies to this topic
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 112
1. Re: 1st time visitng Denver

Yes, downtown is safe, and yes, you can get to most of the sights by walking. There's also a free shuttle up and down 16th Street, and light rail or bus if you want to go outside downtown. And there's a bike share program. denverbikesharing.org/Denver_Bike_Sharing/Ho…

And if you want to take a day trip outside the city into the mountains without a car, there are some tours you can take.

www.denver.org is a great resource for information, events, and discounts.

Edited: 5:30 pm, May 05, 2014
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 112
2. Re: 1st time visitng Denver

You might consider the Denver Inside and Out activity. It gets great reviews and I think it might be a fun way to see the city with a teen.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33388-d15…

http://www.denverinsideandout.com/

Houston, Texas
3. Re: 1st time visitng Denver

Thanks you so much for your response. I was just reading another post and they stated that staying on Quebec Street is another option if you want to visit the Denver zoo and denver museum. What is your thought on this?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 54
4. Re: 1st time visitng Denver

The Doubletree is fine but I think you'd have more fun downtown.

Does the Hyatt have an outdoor pool? That night be nice to have in July. The Doubletree only has an indoor pool.

Houston, Texas
5. Re: 1st time visitng Denver

I was reading the reviews of 16th street mall and the reviews weren't too good. What are you thoughts on this? Also, I am planning on staying downtown, is it overridden with the homeless population and is there anything that I should be concerned about?

edinburgh
reviews: 4
6. Re: 1st time visitng Denver

We just came back from Denver having stayed Downtown,16th street mall is overridden with homeless people,the vast majority do not bother you,there are some who will, never felt truly safe there and was always watching my back.Used the free bus once but i'd rather pay a fare and feel safer,some dodgy people on that bus.

Colorado Springs...
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
reviews: 71
7. Re: 1st time visitng Denver

I'm surprised to hear that about 16th Street Mall. I've spent so much time there, that maybe I don't notice it. But I've never felt unsafe, and I'm there fairly regularly. I always use the free mall shuttle, and I have never hesitated. Yes, there is a homeless population, but I have never been bothered or made to feel that my safety was at issue. I've stayed in a number of downtown hotels with my kids, and I've never had a problem.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 54
8. Re: 1st time visitng Denver

same as law_girl_75. I ride my bike downtown all the time. Maybe the "Mall" has more homeless than say Larimer Square, LoDo or LoHi, but it is part of city life. Never felt the need to watch my back. I take the free shuttle too without troubles.

Denver, Colorado USA
reviews: 6
9. Re: 1st time visitng Denver

You'll be fine on the 16th St Mall. I can't discount Edinburgh's experience but I've been frequenting the 16th St Mall since 1988 and have had NO issues. ZERO. I use the free shuttle all the time, and I'm not one of the "dodgy" people. He says he'd rather pay to ride the bus to feel safer? This makes no sense to me.

Don't stay out on Quebec St. That's suburban hell. You can easily get to the zoo and botanic gardens from downtown.

You'll be much happier downtown. There are two Hyatts downtown. One right by the convention center and the other a few blocks away at 18th and Welton called the Grand Hyatt. I'd rather stay at the one near the convention center but both are totally fine.

Reply to: 1st time visitng Denver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted