We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Laws, where to stay downtown & be able to smoke?

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
FL
reviews: 3
New Laws, where to stay downtown & be able to smoke?

Very simple yet I am sure controversial question about legal cannabis beginning January 1 and where to stay if one is desirous of partaking in new legal rights...what hotels allow smoking anywhere in the rooms or in the hotel itself?

Is it recommended to stay outside of the city center with a car rental, for more smoke friendly hotels that is?

11 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 88
1. Re: New Laws, where to stay downtown & be able to smoke?

The legality issue you're describing will not change on January 1. Most hotels are smoke free regardless of what kind of smoke it is and fines for smoking in the room are steep ($250+). What I would suggest doing is to ask at check-in where the designated smoking area is and I'm sure someone at the hotel will be able to assist.

Aspen, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Aspen
2. Re: New Laws, where to stay downtown & be able to smoke?

. . . and don't smoke in your rental car. Lots of open space in Colorado to enjoy whatever you smoke.

FL
3. Re: New Laws, where to stay downtown & be able to smoke?

Not really planning on a rental car - would it be better to rent and stay outside of downtown for more smoke-friendly areas? I would rather not drive, and I'd rather relax on the bus or something.

I prefer to find out a lot of info in advance so I don't end up with problems when I am in a strange city. Funny how in another country (Netherlands) , I wasn't this concerned :-S

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
reviews: 93
4. Re: New Laws, where to stay downtown & be able to smoke?

Good article covering many marijuana questions from The Denver Post

denverpost.com/marijuana/ci_24823785/colorad…

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
reviews: 17
5. Re: New Laws, where to stay downtown & be able to smoke?

<<Lots of open space in Colorado to enjoy whatever you smoke.>>

Is there anti-smoking laws that still apply here?

I'm not sure, but I think there are "tasting rooms" in some of the bigger shops. And you can always try the non-smoking options, in your hotel room.

Edited: 8:19 pm, December 31, 2013
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
reviews: 93
6. Re: New Laws, where to stay downtown & be able to smoke?

From the Denver Post article - no you can not smoke at a marijuana shop.

Q: Can I smoke up at the store?

A: No. On-site consumption is prohibited at marijuana shops. You have to take your leaves (or buds) and leave.

Open Spaces would be off limits, too.

Q: Can I just puff at a park somewhere?

A: Absolutely not. Public consumption is banned, banned, banned and probably prompts more anxiety from public officials than just about any other topic. Denver police have stepped up enforcement in the second half of 2013, though Denver won't have officers on Jan. 1 specifically tasked with stopping public toking. Boulder has upped its citations, too.

Much open space in Colorado is federal land and marijuana is illegal.

Q: Ski slope?

A: Ski nope. Colorado's winter resorts are not at all stoked at the possibility of stoned skiers. And, what's more, most of the actual ski slopes are on federal land, where marijuana use and possession remains strictly verboten.

Q: So that means taking marijuana on a summer camping trip is probably out, too?

A: Yes. National parks, national forests, national monuments: All off-limits. Possession is punishable by up to six months in jail and a $5,000 fine.

The Post article I referenced in reply #4 has lots of information. We all might want to get familiar with it.

7. Re: New Laws, where to stay downtown & be able to smoke?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, December 31, 2013

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 88
8. Re: New Laws, where to stay downtown & be able to smoke?

"would it be better to rent and stay outside of downtown for more smoke-friendly areas?"

In answer to your question and directly addressing your concerns, think about your own state of Florida and the hotels in nearby cities. Do any of them allow smoking? Denver is no different other than perhaps having more stringent no-smoking policies.

fv posted up a great link that answers many common questions, the rest is simply common sense, including advising against operating a motor vehicle while under the influence.

Golden, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Denver
reviews: 34
9. Re: New Laws, where to stay downtown & be able to smoke?

You might check out some of the firms mentioned in this article, or do a search on pot tourism denverpost.com/ci_22908874/colorado-marijuan…

Colorado limits tobacco smoking greatly with the 2006 Colorado’s Clean Indoor Air Act. Smoking pot in Colorado has even more limitations than tobacco. But there are several pot bakery's in the Denver area, so you won't necessarily need to smoke it. You probably will be able to purchase those items at the pot stores.

Some hotels also have 'reputations'. here is one link. coloradopotguide.com/marijuana-friendly-hote…

Edited: 1:14 am, January 01, 2014
FL
10. Re: New Laws, where to stay downtown & be able to smoke?

Thanks for the helpful link!

Reply to: New Laws, where to stay downtown & be able to smoke?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted