We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road conditions?

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Road conditions?

Planning a trip to Denver for either the middle of February or early March, was wondering how road conditions are usually around these months? Thanks

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 106
1. Re: Road conditions?

The road conditions in the Denver metro area are usually good unless you happen to arrive in the middle of a snowstorm. Occasionally, if there's a heavy snow, it takes a few days to get all the streets cleared, but major thoroughfares are cleared fairly quickly.

Are you just going to be in Denver, or are you planning to visit the mountains?

Fort Smith, Arkansas
2. Re: Road conditions?

Yes we will be staying in the Denver/Aurora area most of our trip, but may take a trip to golden or boulder depending on how the weather is then. We will have our daughter with us and she will be almost 1 by then, so I wasn't sure if going to the mountains would really be an option or could it be with a young child?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
3. Re: Road conditions?

Yes, you could take a day trip to the mountains with your little one, or spend a night somewhere in the mountains if you have the time. Maybe drive the Peak to Peak scenic byway to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. Since Estes Park isn't a ski resort, there will be good deals on lodging. Or drive up to one of the ski resorts to watch the skiers and snowboarders and check out where you'll want to bring her in a couple of years so she can learn to ski!

If you have a backpack for her and the weather is nice, you might try snow shoeing...that's a favorite activity of my kids who have little ones.

Are you flying in?

Fort Smith, Arkansas
4. Re: Road conditions?

Thank you so much for all the info. We will be actually driving from Arkansas and staying for 4 or 5 days, that's why I was wondering if the roads will be ok for a little Chevy car in February with the snow. I also have a question about shopping, would you recommend Cherry Creek or Northfield Stapleton. My wife likes big malls and outdoor shopping but in February it might be to cold for that. Thanks again for all the help.

Colorado
reviews: 3
5. Re: Road conditions?

If she likes big malls, there is also Flat Irons to the north (near Boulder), or Park Meadows to the south (Ikea is near Park Meadows if she likes that). Both malls have lots of stores surrounding them. Boulder has a great pedestrian mall/street of shops and restaurants called Pearl Street, so if you go up to Flat Irons, you could easily head over to Pearl Street for the outdoor shopping if the weather is nice.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
6. Re: Road conditions?

You'll want to watch your road and weather conditions all along your route. I don't know which way you're coming, but anywhere along your route you might encounter gusty wind, blowing snow, sleet, or freezing rain in the winter time. You're probably more likely to encounter problems in the plains you'll be crossing to get to Denver than you will in Denver itself! You might just as easily have clear skies and smooth sailing, but do be prepared for winter driving conditions all along the way. Also be prepared just in case you might have to pull off the road to wait out a storm, or heaven forbid, slide off the road and have to wait for help. For example, keep warm clothing, gloves, and some food & water inside the car, not in the trunk. (Maybe even a blanket or sleeping bag) Top off your gas tank more frequently than usual, so that you are driving "on the top half of the tank.". Keep some flexibility in your schedule if you can so that you can wait out a storm if you need to rather than feeling you have to push on. Also make sure you have good tread on your tires.

I say this not to dissuade you from making the trip but so that you'll be aware and prepared, just in case. We & other family members have made many winter trips to Oklahoma and Missouri (and used to live in New Mexico and West Texas) and have only had delays a couple of times and have never slid off or had to stop along the road, but it can happen. It is possible to encounter road closures. The websites of the state road departments usually have good tips on winter driving ( Colorado's is www.cotrip.org ) along with webcams so you can see the roads. Another good place to ask about your route is Trip Advisor's Road Trip forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Edited: 9:40 am, October 29, 2013
7. Re: Road conditions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 31, 2014