We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to ski near denver

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 21
where to ski near denver

family of 6 visiting denver at spring break where's the best place to ski for a day for four kids with minimal ski experience.

denver
1. Re: where to ski near denver

breckenridge is good for beginners with a lot of easy green and blue runs; however, it does get very crowded. keystone is a 2nd option with some easy green runs, but they're blue runs are a bit harder than breck. the good news is that keystone is usually less crowded than breck and is about 15 minutes closer to denver. whichever you choose, leave denver before 6:30am and leave the slopes before 2:30pm to avoid heavy traffic on i-70. it's better to get an early start on the slopes than to spend 3 hours each way on i-70.

Denver
reviews: 2
2. Re: where to ski near denver

Winter Park is one of the closer ski areas to Denver, and is very good for beginner skiing. An added bonus is that you can take a ski train from Denver to the slopes, so you won't have to worry about driving the mountain roads. Keystone is also good for beginners. Depending on your budget, you may also want to look at a couple of the smaller resorts, such as Eldora and Loveland. If you are not big skiers, you may not need all of the terrain and diversity the big resorts offer (beginner skiers will often stick to the same couple of runs all day). If this is the case, you can avoid the crowds and save some money by going to one of the smaller resorts.

Littleton, CO
reviews: 3
3. Re: where to ski near denver

You will find long lines at Winter Park during Spring Break. If you have a lot of beginning skiers try Sol Vista located near Winter Park.

Colorado, USA
reviews: 1
4. Re: where to ski near denver

We love Loveland. It's close--you avoid the Eisenhower tunnel and that puts you a little ahead of the ski traffic. It's cheap--brown baggers are welcome and the tickets are lower than almost any other area. It's not too big--you wont get lost there and it's easy to find your party. But it does get cold. If the weather is windy, bundle up. www.skiloveland.com

Another option is training or driving to Glenwood Springs. They have great ski-swim-stay packages. Ski Sunlight is their little ski area with a great variety of terrain, and the 'swim' part is the largest outdoor hot mineral springs. I'm sure you could find them online. Glenwood is a swell town and I recommend it whole-heartedly.

Conifer Colorado...
reviews: 1
5. Re: where to ski near denver

To add to your confusion, I'm going to recommend Copper Mountain. It has an outstanding ski school. It's a good size resort and the mountain is naturally laid out in sections with most of the beginner runs in one area. It's not as far as Vail, Breckenridge, or Winter Park, and much much closer than Glenwood Springs/Sol Vista. But, I have to say that Breckenridge and Vail are exceptionally beautiful towns not to be missed even if you don't ski there. Both Vail and Breckenridge are about 20 minutes from Copper Mountain-in opposite directions.

Loveland is at a very high elevation and is frequently very windy and cold and doesn't have much beginner terrain. On your return from Copper Mountain, I'd recommend you have dinner in Frisco (about 5 miles from Copper) There are numerous restaurants on their very quaint Main Street. We really like Toscano's for Italian food.

Also, avoid driving back to Denver on a Sunday, the traffic is horrendous!!

Have a great trip!

Grand Haven...
6. Re: where to ski near denver

Try A Basen You will never forget it. Up the road from Keystone. The front and back bowls may look intimidating but are really blues.

Your kids will return. Very lay backed and sking the way it should be.