We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking in Crested Butte

Which Crested Butte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
reviews: 50
Biking in Crested Butte

We're staying in town and plan to rent bikes for a day. We ride our bikes here at home, but it is flat and easy. Is it better to rent bikes in town or at Mt. Crested Butte? Is the ride from CB to MCB steep? Can we take bikes on the shuttle bus that goes between the two areas? Do any of the in-town bike shops provide a shuttle service to get up there? Any recommendations on bike trails close to town if we can't get up to Mt. Crested Butte? Thanks!

Colorado
reviews: 29
1. Re: Biking in Crested Butte

Check out the Lower Loop trails for easy riding just outside of town. If you're feeling a little ambitious, ride the bike path up to the start of the Lupine Trail and loop back into town on that trail (and the Lower Loop if you want). There are also several dirt roads that make for amazing scenic rides just out of town as well.

The bike path itself from town to Mt. CB is never really steep until you get really close to Mt. CB, and even then it's a pretty short stretch to the resort. Assuming there's room on the front/rear of the bus, you can easily put the bikes on the rack and take the free shuttle. I've done it several times.

It's also fun to ride up the fire road at the resort and come back down one of the "blue" or "green" trails... trust me, there are plenty of great options around CB!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 88
2. Re: Biking in Crested Butte

You might also consider riding the lifts for the day. There are several mellow(ish) cross-country trails that meander slowly down the mountain, through aspen forests and flower-filled meadows. For a flat-lander this might be the best way to avoid a lot of climbing (CB to Mt. CB is a steep few miles).

There is so much mountain biking in Crested Butte that it would be nearly impossible to describe it all. If you're fit and in shape there are other rides with regular shuttle service such as the 401 trail where the bulk of your ride (all the way back to town) will be downhill. If you regularly mountain bike, that's the trail I would suggest. It's regularly ranked as one of the top 50 rides in the world.

Edited: 4:42 pm, June 03, 2013
Illinois
3. Re: Biking in Crested Butte

Thank you both for the information - just what I needed. We are casual bikers in our fifties, not mountain bikers. We're more interested in the scenery and being in the mountains.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 88
4. Re: Biking in Crested Butte

Given the fact that you're looking for a more casual ride, I would suggest pedaling from Mt. CB to Gothic. It's an easy ride on a dirt road all the way to the Gothic townsite and there are several wonderful hiking trails leaving from just past town (e.g. Judd Falls) so you can bike to the trailhead and then hike around a bit.

Illinois
5. Re: Biking in Crested Butte

Thanks, smushie, would you recommend renting bikes in Crested Butte or Mt. Crested Butte?

6. Re: Biking in Crested Butte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 07, 2014