We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildflowers

Which Crested Butte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
reviews: 57
Wildflowers

When is the best time to visit if we are interested in viewing wildflowers? Any predictions based on the recent winter weather? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to coming during the Wildflower Festival? Will the cost and availability of accommodations be different during the Festival? Where do you go to see wildflowers if you have a rental car and can't go off road? Are there any specific hikes to take to see wildflowers? Thanks!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 94
1. Re: Wildflowers

Wow! Lots of questions! July would definitely be my pick for the best time to come. If you can make it during the wildflower festival, there will be activities and events throughout but it will likely cost a little bit more for accommodations but you should have no problems finding a place.

My suggestion would be to head up towards Gothic. The road from Mt. CB to Gothic isn't paved but it's a wide, well-maintained 2-lane road. I would drive up to gothic (actually just beyond-Judd Falls trailhead) and then hike from there. You can also use one of the local shuttle services if you're interested in biking in that area. They will take you to the top of Schofield Pass and then it's miles of downhill biking all the way back to town.

Flowers will be blooming everywhere but stop by the Chamber of Commerce and they can tell you where the best places might be on any given day.

Edited: 9:15 am, April 17, 2013
Illinois
2. Re: Wildflowers

Smushie, Thanks for your response. It leads me to ask yet another question. What kind of surface do these bike trails have, and are they OK for overly cautious people like me? We ride our bikes all the time here at home, but we're riding on pavement or crushed stone trails that are flat and wide. My husband found a video of Boy Scout Trail near Glenwood Springs that was terrifying to watch - narrow, rocky, with sheer drop offs - I'm envisioning a peaceful ride looking at flowers, not speeding down a mountainside!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 94
3. Re: Wildflowers

There is a paved public bike trail that runs the 3+ miles between Crested Butte and Mt. Crested Butte. Just past Mt. CB the road turns to dirt on the way to Gothic. It is a wide, well traveled dirt road all the way to Gothic. From there you can park the bike and hike up any of a number of trailheads just past the Gothic Townsite. The entire ride from Mt. CB to Gothic and beyond is a gradual uphill. To go one direction just means less pedaling but there's nothing narrow or rocky about the road until about 100 yards or so past the Gothic Townsite.

This should give you an idea of the road surface (thought this is already a mile past Gothic)

http://www.imagehousing.com/image/1123760

And this is what the wildflowers look like at their peak:

…zenfolio.com/p983932144/h10C883D4#h10c883d4

Illinois
4. Re: Wildflowers

I hadn't originally thought about biking, but now I'm really excited about this. Any suggestions on where to rent bikes or who provides a shuttle? Also, is it better to stay in Crested Butte or in the ski area for a summer trip? Thank you!

5. Re: Wildflowers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 27, 2014