We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sneaky, unethical practices from "Crested Butte Lodging"

Which Crested Butte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
tuiuiu01
reviews: 3
sneaky, unethical practices from "Crested Butte Lodging"

We booked what we thought would be a hotel room at the Grand Lodge through a 'pay for 3 nights, stay for 4". Our confirmation indicated "Grand Lodge by Crested Butte Lodging", which for someone who has never been there didn't raise any suspicious. Upon arriving, we discovered that the room we booked was one of only 5 privately managed rooms and that the service provided was substandard. (see my long review here:http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g33377-d483065-r125359465-Grand_Lodge_Crested_Butte-Crested_Butte_Colorado.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT)

We were fooled into believing that we were booking a hotel room with the same great services that the Grand Lodge provides to its guests.

It is evident that Crested Butte Lodging has been doing this for a long time and keeps providing mediocre services through this sneaky advertising. Everyone working in this hotel knows about these 5 rooms and how unhappy each guest is when discovering that the service is different and that the rooms are not maintained and cleaned well. If you end up with one of these rooms, be prepared as you will get very inconsistent housekeeping, your room will lack proper cleaning and maintenance and you get zero assistance from the hotel front guest (which I don't blame them for being unable/unwilling to provide assistance to such guests). It also appears that Crested Butte Lodging and property management actually owns these 5 rooms. So, they are not dealing with an absentee owner who doesn't take care or maintain his property, but are rather active participants in this scheme. They rent their own rooms knowing that the kitchenette has broken appliances, is not stocked appropriately, the housekeeping doesn't clean consistently between guests, etc...

They also purposely didn't tell us that we needed to check in elsewhere and request a parking permit elsewhere when we confirmed the booking. Obviously, had them done this, we would have become aware that we are actually not booking with "grande Lodge' but rather with 'Crested Butte Lodging', a completely different entity.

By purposely withholding this information, they are not only fooling each booking guest, but also causing major inconvenience and added work to everyone involved. The Front desk of the hotel has to redirect the guest, hear about how dissatisfied everyone is and the guest is forced to drive around and chase keys and parking permits elsewhere.

Fortunately, the staff at Grand Lodge fell sorry for us and assisted the best they could. They knew this property management office would not be open (They tried to call but nobody answered the phone) , so they graciously provided keys for us.

Their room are #174, #212, #257, #372 #523. The room number was not indicated on our booking, further continuing this scam.

Therefore, when booking a special, verify that you are in fact booking with the Grand Lodge hotel and that you are not being redirected to this company.

Wanda with 'Crested Butte Lodging' made attempts to correct the problems. She moved us from room #212 to room on the first night, around 11:00pm (room #212 had not been cleaned upon our arrival at 8:00pm). She gave us four complimentary breakfast (worth a grand total of $28 for 2 adults + 2 children), sent housekeeping when they didn't show up on our first day, sent maintenance when we notified her that the dishwasher was not working and leaking clean water all over the carpet and the fridge in the room was overdue to deicing. She also provided new robes when we discovered that the ones in our room had been used and not cleaned between guests.

Unfortunately, the inconvenience of having to move rooms in the middle of the night, deal with broken appliances, lack of decent cooking utensils, dinner and flatware, old drafty windows that would freeze up and then thaw and leak water over the window sill all day, the hassle of dealing with the threat of having our car towed due to lack of parking permits and the inconsistent provided housekeeping were problems that we just couldn't overlook.

Colorado
reviews: 43
1. Re: sneaky, unethical practices from "Crested Butte Lodging"

I'm pretty sure a large majority of the rooms at the Grand are privately owned.... but otherwise, it's sad to hear you had such bad service. Crested Butte is a great town with amazing things to do regardless of the season.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 97
2. Re: sneaky, unethical practices from "Crested Butte Lodging"

Just to be clear, you booked a room with Crested Butte Lodging and Property Management, a company that manages and rents privately owned condos in the Crested Butte area.

http://www.crestedbuttelodging.com/

I have heard issues before with Crested Butte Lodging specific to those 5 rooms at the Grand lodge. Also, and for what it's worth, those 5 privately owned rooms are as much of an albatross for the Grand Lodge as they are an inconvenience to guests who book those rooms only to discover themselves stuck on "an island of disrepair."

I'm glad to hear that the staff at the Grand Lodge was sympathetic to your dillema. The front desk staff and management hate those 5 rooms and, though not their responsibility, try their best to help guests like you as much as possible.

In the future, the official site for booking a stay in Crested Butte is through Crested Butte Mountain Resort's official website:

http://www.skicb.com/cbmr/lodging.aspx

Lodging aside, I hope the rest of your stay was enjoyable and that you'll consider coming back again.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 2
3. Re: sneaky, unethical practices from "Crested Butte Lodging"

I just realized we booked one of those rooms. Our stay there is coming up, so I will review it after we come back. Good info so we are prepared if anything comes up.

4. Re: sneaky, unethical practices from "Crested Butte Lodging"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, September 06, 2012
Saint Louis...
5. Re: sneaky, unethical practices from "Crested Butte Lodging"

This is a follow up on the above comment. I called prior to making it to CB and made sure I know where I need to check in and what do I do if anything goes wrong. Chris, the person who talked to me was very nice and explained everything. We were able to check in a little earlier then 4. The room was clean save for an empty shampoo bottle in the bathroom. It was very comfortable and looked nice. We stayed from Saturday to Tuesday. On Sunday we didn't think we needed new towels or anyone to make the bed so we left a Do Not Disturb sign on. On Monday we did not because we needed our trash taken out, but never got a visit from housekeeping. We didn't need it badly enough to call The number you are given in the case you should need anything. Everything in the place worked fine. Besides no maid that one day, we had a great stay.

Saint Louis...
6. Re: sneaky, unethical practices from "Crested Butte Lodging"

Oh, I also mentioned this review and that I am calling to make sure that everything will be in order. :)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 97
7. Re: sneaky, unethical practices from "Crested Butte Lodging"

Glad it all worked out though I would consider renting directly with CBMR on your next trip. How was the rest of your trip? What else did you do?

8. Re: sneaky, unethical practices from "Crested Butte Lodging"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, December 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Crested Butte