We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggustions to improve schedule in Colorado

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
reviews: 1
Need suggustions to improve schedule in Colorado

We are planning on flying into Colorado Springs next August. We will stay at Fairfield resort in Pagosa Springs for a week. Would like to visit Santa Fe and other places as well. I have come up with an schedule to minimize backtracking.

Day 1 Fly into Colorado Springs, drive to Trinidad, stay overnight

Day 2 Drive to Taos, visit Taos, stay overnight

Day 3 Visit Santa Fe, stay overnight in Santa Fe for 2 nights

Day 4 Visit Bandelier Monument

Day 5 Santa Fe - Framingtonm overnight,visit Aztec Ruins

Day 6 Farmington - Cortez, Visit Mesa Verde, backtrack to Cortez to stay overnight

Day 7-13 Cortez - Pagosa Springs, stay for 7 nights at Fairfield

Day 14 Pagosa Springs - Alamosa, visit Sand Dunes, overnight

Day 15 Alamosa - Royal Gough - Colorado Springs, 2 overnights

Day 16 Colorado Springs, visit Garden of the God

Day17 Fly home

Does any one has any suggestions what I should add to this?

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Need suggustions to improve schedule in Colorado

Hi! I live in Colorado Springs. Your plan looks exciting but does include a great deal of driving. On Day 15 do you mean 'Royal Gorge' near Canon City? It is worth seeing. There is a wonderful train that you can travel through the gorge that even does a lunch train. The food is good and the views are spectacular. You'll want to make reservations in advance if you choose to do the train. (tip: request the river side of the train for the best views) There are also a lot of river rafting opportunities in this area if you enjoy a little adventure. :-)

There are a number of other things to do in Colorado Springs that I would recommend: Pikes Peak (drive to the top or ride the cog railway), Cave of the Winds, Olympic Training Center, etc.

The weather in August is usually very warm (75 degrees to 95 degrees) with the occassional rain shower. You'll want to dress in layers here. There is the old saying in Colorado that if you don't like the weather just wait 20 minutes because it will change!

Enjoy your trip.

Colorado Springs, CO
reviews: 3
2. Re: Need suggustions to improve schedule in Colorado

If you are going to the the Royal Gorge/Canon City (pronounced Canyon City) and your're up for a but of adventure, I'd highly recommend one of the white water rafting trips just above the gorge. There's a fairly tame (as whitewater rafting trips go) one just above the Gorge. Water flows are typically lower by August, but still enough to be exciting. There are options for paddling if you want, or just hanging on if you prefer.

The AFA is open to visitors again. If you enjoy hiking, here's a page with some nice day hikes around town. http://www.localhikes.com/MSA/MSA_1720.asp

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
3. Re: Need suggustions to improve schedule in Colorado

Gam,

For day 3: Drive the highroad from Taos to Sante Fe instead of I 25. For day 5. Santa Fe to Farmington, visit Aztec Ruins NM. You can drive from Santa Fe to Espanola to Chama and Dulce and Aztec but I recommend the drive on us550. Beautiful!. Aztec Ruins requires a

1-2 hours visit (unless you are extremely interested) and I would drive to Cortez then for 2 nights and skip the Farmington stay. Saves you 1 time unpacking and packing. You are staying 7 nights in Pagosa Springs from which town you can visit Aztec Ruins also. Maybe try that and stay longer in the Taos/Santa Fe area. Maybe even visit ABQ and/or Las Vegas,nm.

Tet

4. Re: Need suggustions to improve schedule in Colorado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, August 24, 2009