We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difficulty of drive to Garden of Gods from Denver

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Difficulty of drive to Garden of Gods from Denver

I am planning on driving from Denver Convention center car rental location to Garden of the Gods leaving around noon and then driving back the following day to the Denver airport.

I don't mind driving if the roads are well-marked and the traffic is not heavy.

What are the roads like, challenging or something a nervous-nelly can handle?

My alternative is to take a grayhound bus tour but I prefer not to.

Also, I'm visiting around August 20, will it be brutally hot and crowded?

Many thanks.

Level Contributor
230 posts
1 review
1. Re: Difficulty of drive to Garden of Gods from Denver

Aug 21st is the day the USA Pro Challenge bike race visits Garden of the Gods - so roads and stuff may be closed at certain times - you may have to walk in. I would think some time in the afternoon on the 20th for sure. I don't know who has that info right now. Maybe Colorado Springs Parks?

The drive is easy interstate highway (I-25) - but traffic gets heavy - at noon it woundn't be bad but pay attention it is basically Daytona bumper to bumper racing at high speeds.

It shouldn't be what I call brutally hot - and it is hard to say what the crowd factor will be on the eve of the race

In the end you are picking a pretty tough day to visit GoG in the afternoon. Perhaps as an alternative you could go to Roxborough Park or Red Rocks up near Denver.

Level Contributor
403 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Difficulty of drive to Garden of Gods from Denver

The roads in GoG likely won't close until the morning of the stage as it's part of the stage route this time, not the start of the stage like a few years ago, so there isn't anything much to get setup. I really wouldn't worry too much about the bike race on 20th. The signs indicating closures usually go up a few weeks prior, so I could update more the closer it gets.

On the 21st however I really would recommend unless you want to see the race.

Getting too/from Denver on 25 is standard interstate traffic like any big city/metro area.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
12,938 posts
270 reviews
3. Re: Difficulty of drive to Garden of Gods from Denver

Good info so far. It's not a difficult drive but the traffic is frustrating sometimes. On your way back to the airport, resist the temptation to take the E-470 toll road. It will be super expensive with a rental car and there's no cash tolling. Take I-225.

Have fun.

4. Re: Difficulty of drive to Garden of Gods from Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 18, 2015