We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental house in Old Colorado City or hotel in Springs?

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Rental house in Old Colorado City or hotel in Springs?

My family and I are planning our first trip to Colorado the last week of July. I have two kids (ages 15 and 11). We are flying into Denver and renting a car to head to the Colorado Springs area for 3 nights. Do you think it would be better to rent a bungalow in Old Colorado City or stay in a mainstream hotel in Colorado Springs? We would like to be within walking distance to restaurants and shops. Additionally, am wondering about how a good intermediate rafting trip in the area.

Lastly, I am trying to plan our last 3 days. Estes Park or downtown Denver? Always hard packing a lot into a week.

Thanks for any help!!

5 replies to this topic
colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
reviews: 16
1. Re: Rental house in Old Colorado City or hotel in Springs?

Check out Manitou Springs, I think that would fit the bill for restaurants and quaint small town Colorado feel. Jump on it, it's a popular destination. Canon City is our closest rafting gig ( 45 min. drive).

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
2. Re: Rental house in Old Colorado City or hotel in Springs?

Manitou Springs, Old Colorado City are both part of the Colorado Springs city area and probably within 4 miles of each other and downtown CS. Stay at any of the 3. I would recommend staying in downtown Colorado Springs at the Antlers or Mining Exchange if they are in your price range. We also stayed at a b&b in Old Colorado City that was nice, but probably not with kids.

After staying in a large city I would then stay in Estes Park over Denver.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 95
3. Re: Rental house in Old Colorado City or hotel in Springs?

my suggestions take you to the north end of Colorado Springs with Drury Inn Pikes Peak (you get fed food and drinks throughout the day--breakfast, soda and popcorn, then dinner, and drinks too). We liked the recliner in the room and the kids liked the in/out pool combo. Behind the motel were two neat chains right out the door, first Cracker Barrel and then Famous Daves. Across the street we also took in The Academy Hotel and loved the lobby, had the best made to order breakfast (omelettes, etc.) and we just enjoyed every aspect of the place. It's next door to a Goodwill (that has coffee/sitting area). There's other shopping/dining nearby but it's not a downtown area/historic so if your preference is there then certainly go for that.

Fargo's Pizza is a fun/unique dining experience as well.

https:/…

http://www.theacademyhotel.com/

http://fargospizza.com/

Edited: 10:42 am, July 16, 2014
Knoxville, TN
reviews: 88
4. Re: Rental house in Old Colorado City or hotel in Springs?

I think it sort of depends on how much you need to cater to typical teens/pre-teens.

As an adult, I would highly recommend Old Colorado City. Nice, large, old neighborhood with plenty of character and restaurants to walk to.

Manitou Springs, seems to me, caters more to the typical "family oriented" experience. Which means it has it's fair share of Goony Golf, T-shirt shops, and the like.

People live in Old Colorado City. Tourists visit Manitou Springs. Make sense?

Colorado Springs...
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
reviews: 71
5. Re: Rental house in Old Colorado City or hotel in Springs?

For rafting, Bighorn Sheep Canyon is good with kids that age. But as mentioned, it is a 45min drive from Colorado Springs.

Reply to: Rental house in Old Colorado City or hotel in Springs?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted