We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Suggestions

Towards the end of August we are flying into Denver - early AM. Thanks to this forum, we will take shuttle to get rental on Quebec Street. We will be driving to Colorado Springs and need to be there by evening but would like to drive around instead of driving straight there. On Saturday we have a wedding & reception so no site seeing that day. On Sunday, hoping to have breakfast with extended family and say goodbye and see Pikes Peak. Not sure how long that will take but then we want to just drive and see countryside rest of Sunday and Monday. Need to be back close to Denver Monday night to fly home on Tuesday. I haven't looked at map yet but have always heard about Aspen, Telluride, etc. I've heard they are just as pretty in summer as winter. Will we be close to any of those towns to drive to.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2 replies to this topic
colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
reviews: 16
1. Re: Suggestions

Aspen would be your best bet. I just did this trip a couple of weeks ago with out-of-state visitors, so it's fresh on my mind. Before or after Pikes Peak, you'll probably want to at least drive through Garden of the Gods.

Take Hwy 24, to Buena Vista, stop for a meal and watch a few kayakers muscle their way down the river. www.eddylinbrewing.com/ is a new restaurant near the river.

Then take hwy. 82 over the Continital Divide. This is a 3 hr. drive to Aspen, if you don't stop (however, you will be compelled to pull over a few times). The town of Aspen is truly beautiful. Park somewhere and take the town on foot. The John Denver Sanctuary is not to be missed. Of course Maroon Bells is the most photographed area of Colorado. If you get there before 9 a.m. you can drive in without taking the bus. You'll have to hoof it though, because it is a 4 hr. drive to the Denver airport. There are a couple of ways to go. I-70 can get backed up if you are traveling on a Sunday afternoon.

If you are planning on coming the week of the www.usaprocylingchallenge.com/ please check the route and plan accordingly.

Columbus, Ohio
2. Re: Suggestions

Thank you….yesterday we got map out and thought there would be enough to do around Colorado Springs to keep us busy but I like your suggestion. I've always wanted to go to Aspen so maybe we will head that way on Monday. One son didn't really want to drive that far but we will see. Yes, we fly in on the 22nd and leave on the 26th (wedding is 23rd) so need to read up on that bike race. We thought we would drive around denver area on Friday after we get in but maybe not…..

Reply to: Suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted