We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skip Colorado Springs and go straight to Manitou Springs?

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marion, IL
reviews: 11
Skip Colorado Springs and go straight to Manitou Springs?

I am trying to plan our drean Colorado vacation. This is something I have been hoping to do for many years. We plan to start in Colorado Springs then head up to Estes Park. After much online review (I think I will go crazy trying to plan this) I am thinking we should skip Colorado Springs and stay in Maitou Springs instead. We will be coming from Illinois so traveling from the east, if that matters. Anyway, my plan is arrive July 5th but tour The Broadmoor first, then Helen Hunt Falls, on the 6th it's the Pikes Peak Cog Railway and hang around town. Stay the night again and head to Estes Park on the 7th, maybe through Denver? Check in at the Stanley for 1 night, then not sure of a place after that, but planning to go horseback riding one day and the Trail Ridge Road to Continental Divide another day.

Since we are staying only a short time in Colorado Springs area, would Manitou Springs be better to stay in? Feeling pretty overwhelmed by all of it because I don't want to miss a thing!

13 replies to this topic
Marion, IL
reviews: 11
11. Re: Skip Colorado Springs and go straight to Manitou Springs?

Just wanting to make a quick post since we just got back home from this amazing vacation.

fv1989, thank you so much for recommending the driving route. It was an absolutely amazing drive. A little scary over the tundra section but can't imagine that we might have missed this drive by going from Colorado Springs to Estes Park through Denver as we had planned originally. This ended up being our only opportunity to see Elk as they grazed on the hill above the road. It also worked out great coming in from the west because there is no way my husband would've driven in east from Estes Park and then turned around to driven back over. He did say it was pretty stressful but glad we didn't miss the opportunity. My kids loved it! :)

Such an beautiful place, no way to really explain the beauty. Thanks!

Raleigh, North...
12. Re: Skip Colorado Springs and go straight to Manitou Springs?

Thanks for sharing. We are headed to CO next month and we are also starting in the CO springs area (Manitou Springs) and then headed to Estes Park. It is our first trip and I can't wait!! Glad you enjoyed it.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
reviews: 16
13. Re: Skip Colorado Springs and go straight to Manitou Springs?

Hard to beat Colorado summers! Enjoy!

Reply to: Skip Colorado Springs and go straight to Manitou Springs?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted