We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Lodging in Colorado Springs

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
reviews: 4
Suggestions for Lodging in Colorado Springs

Hi,

My wife and I are planning on spending three nights in Colorado Springs during the first week of June. We will be traveling with our three year old daughter. I've never been to Colorado before, so just wanted some advice on where to stay. Our three year old loves to swim, so we are looking for someplace with a pool. Also, is it even warm enough to swim in early June if we stay somewhere with an outdoor pool?

Colorado Springs
1. Re: Suggestions for Lodging in Colorado Springs

My husband and I just moved to Colorado Springs in November and had made two trips out in summer 2005 with our active 18-mo old (now 2). We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn North (marriott.com/property/propertypage/COSTW) . If you plan on having a car to get around town, I can recommed this as a very family friendly place to stay with a large complimentary breakfast, a very tame "happy hour" M-Th (complimentary beer and wine for Mom and Dad and snacks that can be enough for dinner) and a small indoor pool and hot tub. It also has a small tennis court and putting green. Equipment for these are available at the front desk as well as games, movies, etc. They'll even do grocery shopping for you at no additional charge! Nice if you stay in one of the suites with a kitchen to keep out of pocket costs reasonable. CAVEAT: It's away from the hustle bustle and a short drive to any of the major sites though it is close to the AFA. Any of the major chain hotels on Garden of the Gods Rd. will be closer to all the main attractions, restaurants (mostly chain) and convenient to downtown but since I have not stayed in any cannot reccommend. I will say that you MUST make time to take your 3-yr old to the Cheyenne Mtn Zoo. You can feed giraffes and it's a very nice, smallish zoo with lots to see and do. Good luck!

M. Masse, new Springs resident

Fairfax, Virginia
reviews: 21
2. Re: Suggestions for Lodging in Colorado Springs

I've lived in the Springs area for about 13 years. So, I don't often stay in hotels here.

I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express on Commerce Center Drive a couple of years ago. The hotel is fairly new and very convenient to restaurants and the interstate. It's your average Holiday Inn Express. Quite nice, but nothing spectacular. It does have a pool.

I like the Commerce Center Drive location. It's roughly half-way between Garden of the Gods Park & the Air Force Academy. It's close to the interstate, but not right up against it.

There are several other hotels on the street (Fairfield Inn, Microtel Inn, Staybridge Suites, Comfort Inn, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn). I stayed at the Hampton Inn several years ago, and it was nice at the time. I haven't stayed at the Embassy Suites, but have had some breakfast meetings there. The food was good, the staff nice, and the common areas were very attractive.

Personally, I wouldn't want to stay on Garden of the Gods Road. I work on GoG, and there's a lot of traffic noise and congestion, especially during the summer months when tourists come to town. I wouldn't find the location enjoyable or relaxing.

As far as swimming in early June. I'd guess that would be highly unlikely unless the pool was heated or indoors. Up until the end of May, hard freezes are still possible at night.

I'm assuming you'll have a car. You NEED one in Colorado Springs! Public transportation is improving, but I sure wouldn't want to rely on it to get around.

Colorado
reviews: 8
3. Re: Suggestions for Lodging in Colorado Springs

I'd second the previous post wrt staying on GoG road, it's kind of a mess, particularly now since they are doing construction on I25.

Woodmen/Commerce Center hotels would be my choice also. Think there is a Hampton there with an Indoor pool, several other hotels also.

Banff National...
reviews: 15
4. Re: Suggestions for Lodging in Colorado Springs

I would stay in Manitou Springs.A lot less traffic, much more quiet,2 minute drive to Garden of the God's and Pikes Peak Cog railway.A nice quiet little town with a bunch of nice restaurants and shops.I would highly recommend staying at The Town N' Country cottages, they do have a pool, and are in a beautiful location.We visit here from Pa and found this gem, we will be here again in the beginning of Oct. and will be staying here again.Perfect location....

Colorado
reviews: 2
5. Re: Suggestions for Lodging in Colorado Springs

I completely agree with the last post. manitou is the way to go. Manitou is SO much more interesting and charming than CSprings! Closer to all major attractions except for the Air Force Academy than Woodmen/Commerce.

colorado
6. Re: Suggestions for Lodging in Colorado Springs

I agree, Manitou is fun and they have a public indoor swimming pool (I think it is still open, they ran into some problems a while back if I remember right). Also,Manitou has an outdoor/indoor old time arcade that my 3 year old son loves. Temperature at that time of year could be hot, warm, cold, depending on the skies' mood. All outdoor pools open by at least Memorial Day and I don't know of one that isn't heated. You didn't mention price, but the Broadmoor (5 star) and cheyenne Mountain Resort (4 star) are excellent choices should you want to spend the money (excellent golf). Manitou will tend toward 1-3 star boutique hotels/motels. Check out the Loop for a good Mexican dinner and Margs if you make it to Manitou.