We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on our itinerary...

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westlake Village...
reviews: 9
Suggestions on our itinerary...

Hello Colorado experts!

My husband and I are taking our two boys (ages 9 and 7) to Monument to visit friends for two weeks. Are there any must sees for us? We would like some short trips (2-3 days) for all of us as well as some for just the grown ups! Also, has anyone used a really family friendly rafting company for the Arkansas river? One of my boys is slightly autistic and I don't want to scare him. I have heard there are some mild trips where the kids sit all the way down in the raft.

Thanks so much for the help!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
1. Re: Suggestions on our itinerary...

Colorado Springs has a nice zoo, and Garden of the Gods is fun to let kids walk around.

You may want to go see the Sand Dunes and visit St Elmo a ghost town near Buena Vista. Fairplay has a fun restored western town.

Durango is about a days drive away, visit there, take the train and maybe see Mesa Verde.

Also Rocky Mtn National Park would be a good spot for a few days, staying in Estes Park. Lots of hiking and sightseeing.

Don't know of any raft companies.

Colorado
reviews: 76
2. Re: Suggestions on our itinerary...

I second the idea about Fairplay. Their recreated town of South Park is really quite amazing (fun for adults and kids too). There are also some good little restaurants in Fairplay. It's an often missed town by those on their way to Breckenridge. Here's the South Park City's website:

http://www.southparkcity.org/

Also, Salida is a lot of fun (more for adults, I'd say) filled with art galleries and unique shopping. I simply adore Salida! And the Arkansas River flows right through town. You may be able to find a rafting company who can accomodate you there.

Westlake Village...
reviews: 9
3. Re: Suggestions on our itinerary...

Thank you so much for the suggestions!!! We are really looking forward to the trip, and your input is really helpful!

4. Re: Suggestions on our itinerary...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, September 05, 2009