We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghost town?

Which Central City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aurora, Colorado
reviews: 49
Ghost town?

About 40 years ago I accidentally found an abandoned town somewhere near central city...any idea where there is something like this that a regular car could get to? I'd like to take my british friends who will be visiting. The Hardee mine sounds like a good idea too, would like them to get a feel for old Colorado. Thanks for any ideas!

9 replies to this topic
Nederland, Colorado
reviews: 8
1. Re: Ghost town?

Was it Nevadaville? It is just "up the hill" from Central City. rockymountainprofiles.com/Nevadaville_Colora…

Aurora, Colorado
2. Re: Ghost town?

That could be it! Is there a road up there? How do I find it, couldn't find directions on that link...thanks so much! I think it will be a fun trip if we can get there...

Nederland, Colorado
3. Re: Ghost town?

Yes, there is a road. It is easy to find. From Central City just head south out of town up the hill - there is a sign for Nevadaville. If you are going to Central City from the Central City Parkway you will see a sign on the left (west) side of the road as you go down the hill into town. http://goo.gl/maps/yZhyv

Aurora, Colorado
4. Re: Ghost town?

Thank you Babalax, my friends are very excited about doing this, a great experience for my British friends who love history.

Another question, it has been so long since I've done this trip, I was thinking of heading out of Denver on 6th avenue, is that the route that is 119? And if the weather stays good I was thinking of returning on the Peak to Peak Highway as it was called long ago and think that goes to Nederland so we can come back through Boulder Canyon...is this possible?

And if so, with this route in mind...heading into Central City, how do I find the Hidee mine and Nevadaville from there? And how do I head to Nederland?

Thanks for any help!! No GPS...

Nederland, Colorado
5. Re: Ghost town?

I prefer this route: take I-70 west to the Central City Parkway (exit 243). The Hidee mine is just off the parkway. There are signs for it. http://www.hideegoldmine.com/

After the mine continue north on the parkway and drop down toward Central City. Before you get to town, turn left at the sign to go up to Nevadaville.

Leaving Central City to go to Nederland, drive down the road to Blackhawk and turn left onto Hwy 119. Drive north 19 miles (about 30 min.) to Nederland. When you get to the traffic circle you want to go right on 119 down Boulder Canyon (not around the circle). There is a sign but many people get all confused and discombobulated. If you go around the circle you will be on 72 heading toward Estes Park.

Have a good trip -- I hope your friends enjoy the area! :)

Aurora, Colorado
6. Re: Ghost town?

Thank you SO much Babalax! I will follow your suggestions and route and really appreciate the help! Is the mine very far from the exit from I 70? I've never used that way to get there, so I don't know how far it will be from the exit at all. Everything sounds like I won't have trouble finding it...fingers crossed I guess! Your directions sound great. Now for the weather to cooperate! Thanks!

Nederland, Colorado
7. Re: Ghost town?

You are welcome. :)

The mine is closer to Central City. I found this on Google maps: http://goo.gl/maps/yaz9R

It's a lot easier for me to describe how to get to both of those locations from the Central City Pkwy than to send you up through Black Hawk and Central City from 119. And the parkway is a prettier drive in my opinion.

Have a lovely drive!

Aurora, Colorado
8. Re: Ghost town?

Thanks Babalax, our trip to Central City and beyond was a hit! Nevadaville was a bit of a disappointment, we thought there would be more buildings, seems like the place I'd been so many years ago might have been American City? Anyway, great day! Thanks for all of your help, really made a special day! Hidee was great!!!

Nederland, Colorado
9. Re: Ghost town?

Glad you had fun - but too bad about Nevadaville. I am not familiar with American City - may have to check it out sometime. You are very welcome and thank you for reporting back :)

Reply to: Ghost town?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Central City
More Central City Topics