We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gaelic festival this June

Which Canon City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maui
reviews: 4
Gaelic festival this June

hello! We will be visiting this June, driving from ALB to CO and were hoping to catch at least ONE celtic festival. Has anyone been to the Gaelic Festival that is scheduled for June 17-19 near Canon City? Any suggestions of a great place to stay nearby with a pool? We have one 8 year old girl with us, any fun places to see? She LOVES animals, critters, dinosaurs etc. THANKS! We also hope to check out real estate and schools for possible relo-any heads up?

Colorado
reviews: 1
1. Re: Gaelic festival this June

Hi! I suspect the info you found on the Gaelic Festival at Canon City is actually from last year. I moved to Canon City four years ago, and attended the Gaelic Festival held here last June (2005), and it was great, at a fantastic local venue, but don't believe there is going to be one here this year at all. I checked one website which appears to have rolled this event from 2005 onto their 2006 calendar, but I am pretty certain that is an error. However, even without a Gaelic Festival in 2006, there is still alot to do and see in Canon City and the immediate area. My 7, 9 and 11 year olds loved the Dinosaur Depot in Canon City which has great hands-on stuff for kids and does on-going dinosaur fossil field work right here, because Canon City is home to the largest dinosaur fossil finds ever in the U.S. Major eastern universities and colleges excavated many hundreds of dinosaurs within 6 miles of town in the late 19th century and you can hike interpretive trails at Garden Park (4 miles north of town) to see the actual dinosaur fossil quarries. You can also drive the Skyline Drive which overlooks Canon City from 600 ft above it, park your car and see the fossilized dinosaur tracks that were just discovered there a few years ago (1998, I believe). There is a small interpretive site at the tracks. A terrific family activity my kids just loved was taking a half-day whitewater raft trip down the Arkansas River through through Big Horn Sheep Canyon just west of Canon City. We used Raftmasters guiding/outfitting service--they are located right in Canon City along with a half dozen or more other rafting companies. They also run raft trips through the spectacular Royal Gorge further down the river, which flows thru the middle of Canyon City and has a River Walk that follows the river about three miles through town. They are oriented towards families and it is a lot of fun for kids and their parents. One of the favorite attractions for my family is Buckskin Joe Frontier Town (named afyer an actual Colorado gold-mining town from the 1800's), which is located 6 miles west of Canon City near the Royal Gorge Park. Buckskin Joe is very interesting for adults as well as kids, the little town has no-kidding, actual wild west buildings that were dismantled and then moved here from other parts of Colorado and put back together again. They are the real deal, and Hollywood has filmed over 40 well-known Westerns, and Western Series at Buckskin Joe, with actors including John Wayne, Slim Pickens, Hank Fonda ,Jane Fonda, Sam Elliot and many more. They have entertaining (some designed to get the kids laughing) gunfight reenactments at Buckskin Joe pretty much throughout the day, a first-rate magic show and shop, an authentic old-time candy shop, and very good restaurant. Then of course, is the Royal Gorge itself, with the world's highest suspension bridge and it's associated small entertainment park. Canon City also has a number of very good restaurants which are not listed in this guide. Both Canon City and nearby Florence have a number of very nice and reasonable antique shops (which my kids are not interested in). I believe the schools here are very good and know the high school has very strong music and performing arts programs. There are also a lot of music festivals held here and in the nearby area every year, including Blue Grass, Fiddlers Competitions, Folk and Gospel Music, Blues Festivals, and weekly free music and drama presentations at one of the many parks in town throughout the summer. Canon City boasts the largest historical business district in the state (Main Street), is home to world-class artists, and has some of the most interesting residential architecture I've seen anywhere in it's many Victorian-style homes from the turn of the century. Hope this helps!

Jeff

2. Re: Gaelic festival this June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, August 16, 2009