We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best ski area in Breckenridge for young children?

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxfordshire, England
reviews: 13
Best ski area in Breckenridge for young children?

Hello- looking for advice on which runs/areas are suitable to ski with our 5 year old son. We arrive in resort 2 days before the rest of our group when he will then join them for lessons. He has skied 2 full weeks before in Europe but this is our 1st time to Breckenridge. What is/are the best ski areas in Breckenridge to take him too? On previous ski holidays there are slopes that are set up purely for children with animal/cartoon pictures to find (bit like a treasure hunt) whilst skiing on certain trails. Is there anything like this in Breckenridge?

Many Thanks in advance

6 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia...
reviews: 57
1. Re: Best ski area in Breckenridge for young children?

Peak 9 has Ripperroo's forest and I think another small trail through the trees with bridges, obstacles and such. I am not sure if you have to be with a ski instructor to go through those areas or not.

Breckenridge...
2. Re: Best ski area in Breckenridge for young children?

It depends on what peak is closer or more convenient to where you are staying.

Peak 8- 5 chair and/or Rip Ride (It is to the left by the kids castle) I am pretty sure there is a little fun tree run with pics of animals off of 5 chair.

Peak 9- Quicksilver lift

I am sure someone at the ski area would be happy to mark on your trail map exactly where you should go. You guys are going to have an amazing time!

Oxfordshire, England
reviews: 13
3. Re: Best ski area in Breckenridge for young children?

Hello Angela

Thanks for your reply

We are staying in a rental property on the Boreas pass rd- which base lift is nearest to that?

Also 'kids castle' - what's that? Sounds good

Many thanks in advance

Breckenridge...
reviews: 67
4. Re: Best ski area in Breckenridge for young children?

Peak 9 closer to where you are staying. Peak 8 is busier, I always recommend people to Peak 9. Have fun!!

Breckenridge...
5. Re: Best ski area in Breckenridge for young children?

If you are driving to town to get to:

1.Peak 8: Park at the gondola and take it up to the base of Peak 8

2.Peak 9: You can park in the F lot or the Beaver Run Lot and walk over to the Quicksilver Lift. My preference would be park in the Beaver Run Lot.

Please note: All options are paid parking.

If you are taking the summit stage (free town shuttle) There are only a couple stops on Boreas Pass Rd, so not sure if your rental property is near a stop.

-the bus will stop near Peak 9 (the quicksilver lift) and stop at the gondola.

It sounds like you will be here for awhile, so I would explore both Peaks. Peak 8 does get busier especially on weekends but weekdays should not be too bad. The Kids Castle is just a building at Peak 8 where ski school meets.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 59
6. Re: Best ski area in Breckenridge for young children?

If you go to the Breck web site you can see their trail map. In the States the green runs are the easiest runs. Those runs highlighted in yellow are slow zones, which are usually nice and wide and easy for kids and adults alike. I took my first-timer there a few weeks ago, and we skied Peak 9. I found it less crowded. Peak 8 was quite crowded when I was there. I should note, the lifts at the base of the mountain which access the easiest terrain are always going to be the most crowded lifts. If you have non-skiers, or want a break, I prefer the restaurant at Peak 8 (forgot name) to that at Peak 9 base. At Peak 9 you had to go through line to find food, then find table. Upstairs at Peak 8 you sit at a table and get waited on. There is also a heated outdoor area downstairs at Peak 8. We parked by gondola, and rode bus to Peak 8. To get to Peak 9 we rode gondola. Gondola line at Peak 9 got very long at end of day. No line for bus at Peak 8.

Reply to: Best ski area in Breckenridge for young children?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge