We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Breck - Aspen Day Trip and Garden of Gods

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
From Breck - Aspen Day Trip and Garden of Gods

What are your recommendations regarding a day trip to Aspen up through Leadville. Places to stop and see/eat/short hikes?

Also have made the trip between the airport and Breck on I-70 too many times. Contemplating a return trip on 24 through Colorado Springs to see Garden of Gods. Worth it? Also looking at 285 as a route back to Denver? Pros and cons? Anything between Colorado Springs and airport that are a must see?

Thank You

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 51
1. Re: From Breck - Aspen Day Trip and Garden of Gods

I love the drive on 285., very pretty! Stop at Kenosha Pass for a hike on the Colorado Trail or a beverage at the Como Depot

http://comodepot.com/

There are so many amazing places closer to Breck that I'd not go out of my way to go to Garden Of the Gods.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
reviews: 103
2. Re: From Breck - Aspen Day Trip and Garden of Gods

Love Garden of the Gods and do believe it is worth a special trip. Nothing else like it in my opinion. I would combine it with the drive or cog railway up Pikes Peak or some wandering around Manitou Springs in the shops. I also really like to visit the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs as you get to find out how our athletes train all year around and the tour is free. There are many amazing things to do in Colorado Springs beside these as well. When people come to visit we usually do an overnight in Colorado Springs to get away from the "High Country" and do some really interesting stops along the way.

The drive over Independence Pass to Aspen is stunning. There are several hikes you could do. There is one just over the top that is an old ghost town, then there are a couple on your way down into Aspen. It's a scenic drive but can be a long day out.

The drive on 285 is okay but will take quite a while to get to Denver. If you haven't done it before you may enjoy the difference from driving the highway.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco, Copper Mountain, Breckenridge
reviews: 18
3. Re: From Breck - Aspen Day Trip and Garden of Gods

When will you be here? Independence Pass is a seasonal road.

Another option for your departure is head north to Grand Lake and go over Trail Ridge road through Rocky Mountain National Park, exit the park thru Estes and over to I-25 for the airport. A really nice drive and not soo long at all. (DO NOT take 470) Have fun!

Saint Louis...
4. Re: From Breck - Aspen Day Trip and Garden of Gods

Thank you. I think that is a good alternative

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
reviews: 103
5. Re: From Breck - Aspen Day Trip and Garden of Gods

Be aware that Trail Ridge Road is also a seasonal road so it depends on when you will be here whether it is open.

6. Re: From Breck - Aspen Day Trip and Garden of Gods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 09, 2014