We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breckenridge lodging for mid-August (Crystal Peak v others)

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY, NY
reviews: 31
Breckenridge lodging for mid-August (Crystal Peak v others)

Hello, Breckenridge experts! Like everyone else, I’m hoping to tap your insights with a few questions, most importantly about lodging, since the volume of quality accommodations is overwhelming. (I can offer some NYC advice in return!)

The top rated places (BlueSky, One Ski Hill, Water House on Main Street, etc) look divine, but there is no or limited availability for 1 bedrooms, and for what there is, the price is a bit high for me, esp. since I suspect other lower price options could work just as well for us. Crystal Peak Lodge is less expensive, but can you confirm it’s not really walkable to “town”? They boast a shuttle, but it’s unclear to me how that works, especially in summertime when the demand for that service may not be as high. I read somewhere the “gondola” closes early in summer, maybe that’s true for buses and shuttles as well? For a mid August stay, does using a resort shuttle mean waiting around a lot and not being able to go to dinner too late?

What I’m hoping to find is a quiet 1 bedroom around $200/night (of course less would be great) somewhere that is walkable to town/dining and is clean, well-furnished and as updated as possible, with parking for our car rental, great views (if not from the bedroom, from common sitting areas), hopefully with a heated pool and hot tub on the property. Extra points for: a good coffee shop (for espresso drinks) on the premises or around the corner, lots of windows (since I shouldn’t expect AC, right?) and easy access to hiking. Except for the walkable part, Crystal Peak might be the most obvious choice. We’re in NYC and accustomed to/enjoy walking, so I don’t need it to be a 2-3 minute walk, but 2 miles might be a hassle trying to make dinner.

Given all that, do you recommend Crystal Peak? The options on VRBO, Flipkey, etc are a bit overwhelming. If I manage to find something affordable for the types of places named above (I’ve seen one or two options, but already some owners have not answered my inquiries), do I get access to all the property amenities that I would if I had rented directly from the official site/property manager?

How dated do places like Trails End, Columbine, The Lift feel? Are the views mostly of other buildings and parking lots? Some of these properties seem do-able, but risky in that I may not see pictures of the exact unit (if not renting directly from owner). I really don’t want to book and then be disappointed on arrival with, for example, very old furniture.

If you have comments on Crystal Peak and other options that might fit the bill, I’d be grateful! I also am going to start planning for hiking and activities, so I may have ?s and impose further!

Thanks in advance!

7 replies to this topic
Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
reviews: 20
1. Re: Breckenridge lodging for mid-August (Crystal Peak v others)

Crystal Peak is not walkable to town so if that is a must, I would skip.

In-town- check out Mountain Thunder Lodge.

You can also try Main Street Station and The Village At Breckenridge (ask for an upgraded unit). Both of these locations are great locations.

Matt

NY, NY
2. Re: Breckenridge lodging for mid-August (Crystal Peak v others)

Thanks. Walkable to town is most preferable, but not a must. (Hence the questions about the shuttle.) The way everyone talks about the shuttle and gondola, it sounds like getting to town is easy. I'm just wondering if timing/frequency of service would be an issue. (And, in any case, we'll also have a car.) As I look at more and more pictures, I think the views at the mountain side properties may be worth the extra distance.

Mountain Thunder was actually one of the top choices, but I don't see any 1 bedrooms available online.

Main Street looks like a good suggestion, but some of the more recent reviews make me apprehensive.

As it turns out, I called Breckenridge Hospitality to ask a ? (conflicting info re: studio bed size on their website) and found they were offering better rates over the phone than online, so we may go w/ one of those properties. Hopefully that tip could be of use to others.

Thanks very much, Matt!

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
3. Re: Breckenridge lodging for mid-August (Crystal Peak v others)

If you do go with Crystal Peaks, ask for a higher up room looking east. looking west has views of the ski resort but I think the views east are much more impressive.

Mtn. Thunder should have 1 bdrms. Again, 4-digit number, 2nd number being the level. Not as many levels. Views will be better up at Crystal Peaks but Mtn. Thunder much more convenient to town.

Being a local, if I were advising a friend coming in Aug., I would stay in-town where you can walk to everything.

Matt

Leon, Ks
reviews: 1
4. Re: Breckenridge lodging for mid-August (Crystal Peak v others)

you might also check out Pine Ridge, just got back and had a wonderful stay.

NY, NY
5. Re: Breckenridge lodging for mid-August (Crystal Peak v others)

Thanks, Matt. Your note does make me more inclined to forego the mountain base and stay closer to town...but the choices are still overwhelming! MT Thunder offers 1 bedrooms, there are just none available during my dates (maybe via VRBO, but outside my price range). I'm focusing on Village now, but nearby Trails End may save us a lot of money. (If we don't mind walking across the street for the pool.) Pine Ridge looks like it'd be great for a family; thanks for the suggestion, LeonHawk. I'll be sure to post a review of wherever we stay upon our return.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
6. Re: Breckenridge lodging for mid-August (Crystal Peak v others)

you can try all the major by owner websites: vrbo.com, flipkey.com, flipkey.com

While they are supposed to be "by owner" many property management companies have put properties there and they may not have flexibility with their pricing as much as an owner.

When you e-mail someone, just tell them your dates and the price you can offer. It may not meet their price but worst that can happen is someone says no. I have a VRBO rental and I get some e-mails with people offering the price that they can pay. Sometimes I take it, sometimes I don't.

Trails End- good location but units play a tad small comparatively. mid 800sq.ft. for a 2 bdrm vs Pine RIdge where you are typically looking at just over 1,000 sq.ft.

Other complexes to look at:

MountainWood

Timbernest

PowderHorn

Cimarron

Sawmill Creek

Ski Hill

River Mountain Lodge- ask for east facing up high if you call front desk.

Village At Breckenridge- ask for higher up unit- good views.

Most if not all of the properties listed up above are older but each owner can update the unit so look for pics.

They are all in great locations, walk to everything.

Matt

NY, NY
7. Re: Breckenridge lodging for mid-August (Crystal Peak v others)

Yeah, over the last couple of weeks I've checked out VRBO, FlipKey and AirBnB. I wrote a bunch of owners, and asked to negotiate with a few. (None of the ones w/ whom I asked to negotiate responded.) I found one on VRBO that seemed to fit the bill :) It's on the top floor and appears to have partial views. Among the owners/managers who wrote back, everyone seemed exceedingly nice, more so than when I've used those sites for other locations. I'm excited for the trip, and will be posting questions on other topics soon. (Eg, is there a place to rent hiking poles? It's hard to find hiking pole vs. ski pole information!)

Thanks for sharing your expertise!!!

Reply to: Breckenridge lodging for mid-August (Crystal Peak v others)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted