We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping suggestions in Summit County for 2 nights

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burlington, Vermont
reviews: 2
Camping suggestions in Summit County for 2 nights

Family of 4 (2 teenagers) are making a family trek across the county with our destination being various spots in Colorado.

Vermont to Chicago (day 1)

Chicago to Neb. (day 2)

Neb to Summit County (day 3)

whew....

now we need 2 full days to recover -- and soak in the beauty of Summit County...

Advice needed...

First, advice on camping. We camp in a small 4 person tent and love scenic quiet spots -- not lots of RV's, motor boats, etc. We prefer a bathroom but showers are not necessary.

Any recommended beautiful, off the beaten path spots -- close to either Breckenridge or Vail?

--the teens are requesting a few days of typical ski resort type activities like: zip-lining, gondola rides up and hikes down, etc type of activities. Also, any activities we should NOT miss in one of these locations?

Second,

Is one town (Vail, Breck...) less crowded than another? Do you recommend some other gem?

Thank you for assisting with this 1st part of our trip....

I will also post this in the Vail forum...

2 replies to this topic
Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
reviews: 20
1. Re: Camping suggestions in Summit County for 2 nights

You might want to look into campgrounds around Lake Dillon. I would call the Dillon Ranger District and ask them what they would recommend around the area based off of what you are looking for. They can be contacted at 970-468-5400.

Matt

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 47
2. Re: Camping suggestions in Summit County for 2 nights

There are some dispersed camp sites near Keystone Resort. Some nice tent sites off of Keystone Gulch Road, which is dirt. This would be my first choice, no bathrooms but you can purchase a day pass to the Keystone Lodge and Spa, use the showers, pool hot-tub very nice camping! If you have bikes you could bike to the villages for activities, there is great cross country mountain biking right there too.

Or you could go up Montezuma road from Keystone, paved, there are a number of camping sites along the river, again no services.

It is an easy drive over to Breck from Keystone.

I think you will find most of the Lake Dillon campgrounds crowded with mostly campers and RV's.

Edited: 10:23 am, July 18, 2013
Reply to: Camping suggestions in Summit County for 2 nights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted