We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reunion public venue

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Reunion public venue

We are a group of around 30, kids and adults, meeting up in breckenridge in July for a family reunion. As we are staying in condos all around breck, we are planning to meet up one afternoon together for a picnic. Looking for a public area we can spread out, kids can run around and explore, and adults can congregate over a family style meal and maybe play some horseshoes, frisbee, etc. A grill would be a nice touch. Basically, we need an outdoor space to chill, and it doesn't need to be private. A restaurant would be too confining for all the ankle biters.

Carter park came to mind, but you have to rent it out, and boy is it expensive. We will pay a fee, but looking for something more reasonable. Hoping to find some public parks, similar to what we have in houston and denver. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco, Copper Mountain, Breckenridge
reviews: 19
1. Re: Reunion public venue

When I read your post I thought well how expensive could they be - after all I have rented a few parks since living here. Well Yikes! You are right they are a bit pricey in Breck and especially for out-of-towners! Would you be open to Frisco? You can either drive or take the free bus - there are a few parks perfect for your reunion and the fee is much more reasonable IMO... look at meadow creek and walter byron.

townoffrisco.com/activities/parks-facilities/

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
reviews: 20
2. Re: Reunion public venue

Were you looking to rent the entire pavillion or just the outdoor area (labelled south side patio is what you would want when asking) The outdoor area is a tad more reasonable, covered, has picnic tables and sounds like is all you need, plus it has a bbq. Cost is $155(ish) as long as you do not rent it on a fri/sat/sun. If you do, then you have to rent the entire pavillion and then that gets $$$$$$ So, if you can plan for the get together to be M-Thurs, I think this is a great place and $155 split between a few families will hopefully make it more feasible as this is really the best place for what you are describing. Kids can run around, there is vb courts, soccer fields, tennis courts plus Breck elementary 200 yards away and can walk over and play on the playground equipment.

There are not many public parks around Breck due (guessing) to 1) fairly small town 2) high cost of real estate 3) tons of forest service/open space around making protected open space not as much a high priority as it might be in a large urban town ala Denver/Houston 4) longer winters. Unfortunately, that does not help you.

Maybe Kingdom Park if there is not much going on, believe they have BBQ's over by the softball field. If fields not being used, adults and kids could play a game of softball/kickball...have a few picnic tabels. Inquire with town or Rec Center if you call and ask about outdoor pavillion only rental.

Another option might be to see about renting a room at the Breck Rec Center for the meal portion (yes, indoors so not as exciting) and then getting a 25 punch pass so majority of adults/kids can go inside and play basketball, raquetball, swim...

Final thought would be to see about holding the get together at one of the complexes you are staying at. A few might have an outdoor bbq, seating could be hard for that many.

Or try Frisco and Walter Byron Park (I would recommend reserving). If cost is anywhere close, I think Carter is better option though.

Best of luck.

Matt

Houston, Texas
3. Re: Reunion public venue

Thanks to you both for such informative replies!

We are looking at weekends, as that's when we will have the most folks around. Carter looks fantastic, but too pricey, and if they are charging those rates (more power to em:) I bet it's already booked up anyway. I will give the city a call, as suggested, about the other parks.

Frisco also looks like a super option. We all love Frisco, just have to decide if we want to trek down with the gang. But wb and mc look so nice, I think the group would be very happy.

And, Matt, your points about open space are well taken and make sense. Usually when we are in breck we are loving the trails and forest areas...as we escape our urban jungles. :). I guess we just hadn't thought about the public play parks being so $ and in high demand, but with all your suggestions, we will find something to work just fine. Thx again y'all!

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
reviews: 20
4. Re: Reunion public venue

If you are willing to travel, then look at Dillon as well over by the lake.

www.townofdillon.com/index.aspx?page=84

You can rent the place in 1/2 day blocks or just head over there and use it if no one else is. I have not been here tons, but everytime I take my little ones over there to play, not many people are around while you could rent it, I would be surprised if anyone is there. Worst case, head over to Town Park.

Also, if you are coming to Frisco or Dillon, some of your group might be interested in the following

http://www.dillontaxi.com/

Matt

Breckenridge...
5. Re: Reunion public venue

Matt gave some great advise! I think it might be worth looking at one of the condo complexes. Where are you all staying? For Example, Pine Ridge Condos has an outdoor grassy area that guests can use. This is a great spot for family gatherings/bbq. Main Street Station has the pioneer room that is available to guests.

Houston, Texas
6. Re: Reunion public venue

thanks again to all for most excellent advise. We booked the WB park in Frisco, and it couldn't have worked out any better for our group. Awesome park. Everyone loved it! Big grassy area, play structure, sand volleyball, grill, mountain views, and even riverside.

We left it cleaner then we found it, and are thankful frisco offers its public parks for a nice venue at a reasonable fee. TA was a super help to us, so thanks again!

Reply to: Reunion public venue
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted