We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit to Breck

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leominster...
First Visit to Breck

My boyfriend and I are heading to Breck the last week of February for 6 days. We have our lodging (Peak 9 Inn) and three days of lift tickets. I guess I have so many questions I don't know where to start! Here are some rambling thoughts:

Getting to Breck from Denver (car? shuttle?) Looking for a cheap option

Should we ski Breck the 3 days, or try out a different mountain (Keystone? Vail?)

Cheap ski rentals?

Apres ski hotspots (we are 28 and enjoy cheap, fun, restaurants and bars)

What should we do on our "days off" from skiing?

Thanks for your help!

Aspen, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Aspen
1. Re: First Visit to Breck

1. Compare shuttle to renting but know once you're in Breck u won't need your car much except to drive to Vail or hit the food store.

http://www.coloradomountainexpress.com/

2. Breck is a big mountain. Vail is bigger and you could spend a week there and not ski it all. Much depends on your level of adventure and skiing ability. Getting to Vail from Breck may be an issue with no car.

3. If you're an aggressive all-mountain skier don't go cheap. Get hi-pref or demo so you can switch out if conditions change. I like Blue Mtn Sports or Main Street Sports.

http://www.blueriversports.com/

http://www.mainstreetsports.com/

4. Eric's can be fun. Decent burger as I recall. Read the online E-edition for Breck to get good info and maybe specials too. Here's a list, prob incomplete. Read the reviews.

skitownrestaurants.com/breckenridge/nightlif…

5. Day off? Ski more, drink, have sex. Keystone has good tubing hill but time limit and expensive IMO.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
reviews: 23
2. Re: First Visit to Breck

Getting to Summit; call for prices

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33327-i838-k50054…

Probably cheaper to catch a shuttle if just 2 of you but only other option is to rent a car.

absolute cheap option is Greyhound to Frisco, catch free bus (Summit Stage) up to Breck.

3 days: I would stick to 1 mountain but usually if you buy a 3 day pass, you can also ski over at Keystone and A-Basin. Free bus that goes over to Keystone/A-Basin. So if you ski somewhere else, look there and you won't have to worry about getting to Vail, pay for parking...

cheap ski rentals: ?? probably not going to be too much difference. There is a ski shop by City Market in Breck (to the right as you are looking at City Market) that might be cheaper. Otherwise, look for rental place at base of mtn, easy to get fix to skis or change out boots if uncomfortable.

restaurants:

Downstairs At Eric's- sports bar

Blue River Bistro- small bar area

Empire Burger

MotherLode

Three20South- music

Days Off

Can catch free bus system down to Silverthorne where there are outlet stores, over to Frisco and walk Main St or around lake, up to Copper Mtn and walk around base area (www.summitstage.com) or walk back from Copper to Frisco (~6 miles along path).

If you have car:

Buena Vista (hot springs) Mt. Princeton or Cottonwood

Glenwood Springs (hot springs), hike to Hanging Lake (trail in the canyon)

Matt

Leominster...
3. Re: First Visit to Breck

Thanks for the suggestions! I am leaning towards taking a shuttle from the airport. I noticed that some companies offer a lower rate if we get dropped off at the Breckenridge Transfer Station....is this a good option? We are staying at Peak 9 Inn (Village at Breckenridge). One more thing, does the free shuttle take you to the grocery store?

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
reviews: 23
4. Re: First Visit to Breck

Easy to get from Breck Transfer Center to Village At Breck using local free bus so definite optoin.

From the transfer center at the gondola base, there are other smaller buses (white) that go around Breck. Just ask a driver of a bus which one to get on. I believe bus stops out front of the Village At Breck.

Here is the link for the around town Free Transit schedule (white buses)

townofbreckenridge.com/Modules/…

You will want to catch the Brown route from Transfer Center to Village At Breck. Look for signs at Breck transfer center in the semi-circle where the buses pull in that show the various route colors.

Use same bus to get back to gondola base then might have to hop another route to go to City Market or just walk from gondoa base (4-5 minutes) and catch the bus back once you get grociers. There is also a smaller grocery store within walking distance from Village At Breck (ask front desk), probably a 5 minute walk, but more expensive than City Market.

You could also ask various shuttle companies the cost from DIA to Frisco transfer center. Then catch free summit stage up to Breck. Might save a few bucks.

Leominster...
5. Re: First Visit to Breck

Awesome information, thanks!

South Riding...
reviews: 14
6. Re: First Visit to Breck

Go on a snowmobile tour if you've never done this before.

Go on a dogsled ride. The place just north of Breck even allows you to drive the sled (you take turns with others in the group).

There is a paint-your-own pottery place on the north end of town.

The Breck theatre may have a play you are interested in watching. It is a very small theater.

7. Re: First Visit to Breck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 04, 2014