We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions - first time skiing

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
reviews: 20
Questions - first time skiing

My wife and I are going on a couples trip to Breckenridge in two weeks - none of us have ever been. We have a lodge booked, but nothing else - we want to go tubing Friday, then skiing Saturday, and have a half day Sunday before we have to fly out. Any suggestions would be appreciated - should we buy lift tickets ahead of time? Should we rent ski equipment ahead of time? Is there anything we can do on Sunday for a few hours?

Thanks in advance!

Springdale, AR
reviews: 2
1. Re: Questions - first time skiing

I think we will be in breckenridge the same time!

Honestly, if none of you have ever been skiing, one day on the slopes is not going to be a great experience. It takes awhile before you would consider it enjoyable or even skiing!

Could you not plan skiing Friday and try the tubing after the lifts close? That way you could take lessons on Friday and have all day Saturday to try to actually enjoy the skiing.

You will need to wait to get there to rent skis. They will fit you with your boots, etc. it won't take long.

I purchased my lift ticket in advance. Convenience wise it's nice, but doesn't save much money. I would just wait until you get there.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
reviews: 20
2. Re: Questions - first time skiing

If possible, I would flip your order of activities.

Friday- ski

Weekends can be busy so if you have the choice, ski on Friday. From there, you can plan your Saturday. If you liked skiing, head out again on Saturday and go tubing Sunday morning (tubing is not the longest of activities so could be done then).

Sunday- if you are flying out Sunday afternoon/night, do be aware that drive times back to Denver can be longer due to everyone going back to Denver Sunday afternoon. I would add an hour on a regular weekend, longer on a super busy weekend (holiday, March...which I don't think applies to you). Again, this would be a good time to consider tubing (Frisco has a tubing hill, so does Copper) or buy a cheapo one from Wal-Mart and trudge up and down at Carter Park in Breck (free). Then head back towards Denver earlier to avoid traffic and find something of interest in Denver before your flight (shopping, Denver Museum of Natural History/IMAX...)

Matt

If you are only skiing a day, discount probably not that much, but you can check at Safeway or perhaps someone else has a thought.

Ski rental- rent close to the mountain base in case you do want to take your skis back or exchange boots if you do not find comfortable.

Colorado
reviews: 3
3. Re: Questions - first time skiing

Agree that Sunday traffic is terrible. But if the Broncos are playing in a playoff game on Sunday afternoon, it will decrease the traffic headed back to Denver until after the game is over.

Colorado
reviews: 3
4. Re: Questions - first time skiing

Agree that Sunday traffic is terrible. But if the Broncos are playing in a playoff game on Sunday afternoon, it will decrease the traffic headed back to Denver until after the game is over.

Edited: 1:50 am, December 27, 2012
Saint Joseph...
5. Re: Questions - first time skiing

Consider investing in a private ski instructor for your group, especially given the short length of your trip. Splitting the cost between several folks will make this WELL worth while.

ALL brand newbies trying to figure it out on your own!?!? Yikes!

6. Re: Questions - first time skiing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 03, 2014