We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to breckenridge

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springdale, AR
reviews: 2
First time to breckenridge

I have too many questions for this to be one topic! I apologize in advance.

My wife and I will be staying at the Pine Ridge Condos January 9-13. From what I can tell, this is near the base of peak 9.

My wife barely skis, she might try one day, but for the most part I will be by myself. At other resorts I have been, I mostly ski easy/moderate black, difficult blues. Get pretty bored with less.

1. I'd love to find a group or another solo of similar skills that knows the mountain that could put up with a straggler.

2. If I'm by myself, is peak 9/10 my best bet? If I'm by myself I don't want to get in over my head, but do get bored easily. I also like new experiences. Would I be better off sticking to one peak or trying to do it all?

3. How easy/difficult is it getting from peak 9 to the other peaks. The trail map seems like navigation to and from may not be easy. And once you get somewhere, it looks much easier to just stay put.

4. Will anything at the top of peak 8 (6 Chair) be open? How difficult is that stuff?

5. If my wife does ski, extreme novice (but won't do school cause she will just ski one day), where would the easiest starting point for her be? What would be the easiest way of getting there if our lodge is at peak 9?

6. Are there plenty of restaurants, shops, etc., at the base of peak 9?

7. Will she be ok getting around town on foot from our lodge?

Many more questions, but too many already. Thanks!

Springdale, AR
1. Re: First time to breckenridge

Just an FYI, my username has nothing to do with skiing! Ace of Blades is the name of my business.

Breckenridge...
reviews: 68
2. Re: First time to breckenridge

I am definitely not an expert on Breckenridge BUT I think I can give my 2 cents on a few things that I found out last March when I went.

My feedback on the different peaks:

Peak 10 - intermediate & expert only, perfect for a skier of the availablity you said you were

Peak 9 - somewhat easy even though it says intermediate on some trails, love the wide open trails, beautiful, I think due to this peak not being as busy as Peak 8 your wife could ski this or at least attempt and if she falls plenty of room to get back up

Peak 8 - Busiest peak and I didn't care for it due to all the people on it, some decent trails but I would say skip it

Peak 7 - a little harder than Peak 9 but when I went not busy, nice bar at the bottom to grab appetizers and cold one, plenty of outdoor seats and firepits, might be a good idea when you ski to have your wife meet you at the bottom for "lunch".

"The Bowls" - expert and you can do them, you need to access them from Peak 8 but very easy to take a lift from 9 to 8 and then jump over to 7

Breckenridge to me was not a "mammoth" mountain, very easy to navigate and the chair lift system from peak - peak is excellent. I still would advise your wife taking a lesson unless she will listen to you....lessons make us better :) but the snow is soft powder nothing like I ski in the east so falling down into it isn't bad at all!

Finally - if you love burgers, DEFINITELY go to Empire Burger, literally best burgers. I think most restaurants and pubs are great in Breck but I personally didn't care for the food at the Brewery, great for drinks but food just okay. Also, if you are a coffee person, go to "Clint's" Coffeehouse. Best coffee in Breck.

Enjoy!! Breck is a special place and I am counting down the days until I am there again :)

Breckenridge...
3. Re: First time to breckenridge

Oh and Breckenridge is awesome because from the lifts to Main Street - lodge everything is in walking distance...your wife will have no problem walking around plus there is a shuttle bus service (public) that runs.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
reviews: 21
4. Re: First time to breckenridge

When you arrive, ask one of the liftees or someone at the ticket counter if the resort offers guided tours. I have heard rumors that they might have a few of the ski ambassadors show anyone that is interested around the resort (might have different levels)....or I might have just made that up completely but for some reason I think they do or did at one point offer this.

For your skiing ability-

Peak 10

Chair 6- if open. Difficulty...hard to say without knowing your level. Not groomed, relatively flat up top, leading into a steeper middle, few of the places have tight turns. I think if you stay a right right after you get of 6 chair it is a little easier.

Imperial lift (if open)- just a big bowl, steep, not groomed but can do wide turns as huge bowl

Not super hard to get from one peak to another but it would take time to say go from Peak 10 to Peak 8.

By the way, if you are staying at Pine Ridge, you might end up on Peak 8. The closest lift to you is up the street (Snowflake lift). If you want to start on Peak 9, you would probably need to walk down to Main St, hand a left and catch the shuttle.

Your wife- if she skis, best lift to start her on is Quicksilver lift over a the base of the Village At Breckenridge. Wide gentle run directly under the Quicksilver lift.

Getting there. Down to Main St., catch shuttle stop on the opposite side of the street as River Mountian Lodge (big blue complex)...again, opposite side.

Or there should be a shuttle stop near Pine Ridge that goes up to Snowflake, ask driver if they go onto Beaver Run after that. If so, get off at Beaver Run (do not get on this lift), walk past the lift line, put on skis and pole yourself down to Quicksilver lift. Your wife might be able to handle Beaver Run lift, but might as well start on Quicksilver unless you scoped out the runs off of Beaver Run.

Main St. is probably a 5-7 minute easy flat walk from Pine Ridge.

Restaurants...plenty of options on Main St.

Matt

Springdale, AR
5. Re: First time to breckenridge

Great advice from both you guys! I really appreciate your insight.

Excited for the trip!

Breckenridge...
6. Re: First time to breckenridge

Just remember "Empire Burger"! Enjoy. Breck to me is a special place and I know you will love it.

7. Re: First time to breckenridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 28, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge