We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Know a Breck ski shop demoing Blizzard and Icelantic skis?

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia...
reviews: 65
Know a Breck ski shop demoing Blizzard and Icelantic skis?

I'm in the market for new skis this season and have been attracted to the Blizzard Black Pearl (or Bushwhacker men's version) and the Icelantic Pilgrim. I called Christy's at Main Street Station, which has neither in their demo inventory. The websites are no help as they all list a few models and "OR Equivalent". Anybody know where I can demo these in Breckenridge?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 88
1. Re: Know a Breck ski shop demoing Blizzard and Icelantic skis?

These are very specific skis that are not exactly very popular for rental or demo fleets. I actually have a pair of Pilgrim's with a tele setup but they aren't really the one ski quiver they claim to be when it comes to Colorado skiing.

Atlanta, Georgia...
2. Re: Know a Breck ski shop demoing Blizzard and Icelantic skis?

Smushie, Thanks for the info. A local shop here was tempting me with those Pilgrims. I wasn't totally sure and haven't had a ton of luck finding any real reviews on them. The Black Pearls are a favorite of the Ski Divas, and seem like they'd be a great fit for me. The Volkl Kenja may end up as the winner, if only because I can actually try them!

Frankly, buying skis without demoing is like buying a car without test driving it.

Edited: 11:08 am, December 20, 2012
Colorado
Destination Expert
3. Re: Know a Breck ski shop demoing Blizzard and Icelantic skis?

I wouldn't trust a ski shop in Atanta as the end all be all of ski gear. I've known plenty of people that have worked in ski shops. In general, what they try to sell you is based on the incentives offered by ski reps and/or the manager/owner of the shop. Years ago I had a friend that worked in a ski shop in NJ and sold 30+ pairs of Atomic boots one season because he got $50 for each pair he sold along with a $1200 ski set up and a ski trip including flights, hotels, and lift tickets for selling the most boots in the state (he sold the ski equipment and the trip and pocketed the extra money).

From the sounds of it you're looking for a compliant all-mountain ski. How many days a year do you ski? What kind of terrain do you normally ride? Hopefully from all this top-posting someone will recommend a shop with a large demo fleet. My advice would be to try a bunch of skis and then pick the one you like the best rather than hunting down one or two brands that may be no better or worse for what you're looking for. Hope that helps.

Someone? Anyone? Biggest demo selection in Breck?

Atlanta, Georgia...
4. Re: Know a Breck ski shop demoing Blizzard and Icelantic skis?

I'm a pretty aggressive advanced intermediate with lofty goals. I don't ski as much as I'd like - only about 5-6 days a year at this point, and always in Breck, but hopefully that number will increase in the next few years with another week somewhere out west in the spring months. At this point, I prefer my on-piste expert runs to be groomed, but I have dreams of gliding through the high alpine glades and facing (softer) bumps in the bowls without a powerful bout of nausea. It will happen. It will.

Yes, I want an all-mountain ski, and I want to try something with a wider waist and possibly a rocker. I sold my old Volkl Attiva carvers this season that were way too short and preferred that I cruise at slow, leisurely speeds. I prefer to ski like I drive - pretty fast, but always in control.

From what I checked out last year when I was in town, Christy's really had the best selection of ladies demos in longer lengths (168-173's). I visited a few other stores in town, but the women's ski selection was really limited. Now, if I could convince everyone to go to Vail for the day, it seems a few stores there have more extensive demo fleets.

Definitely NOT buying anything out here in Atlanta. I need new boots too and checked out the local selection at a few shops. You know what they say about opinions? I'm waiting until we're in Breck, and I'm debating making an appointment with Jeff Bergeron for a "real" boot fitting. It is so expensive, but I know it would be worth it. We'll see.

Edited: 3:03 pm, December 20, 2012
Colorado
Destination Expert
5. Re: Know a Breck ski shop demoing Blizzard and Icelantic skis?

Custom fit footbeds and boot liners are the single biggest thing you can do to improve both comfort and performance while skiing. You might want to consider demoing skis for at least a season or two to figure out what works for you. Rockered skis are going to feel very unstable at speed on a hardpacked groomer and so, if you're in it for the long haul, demo as much as you can and, most importantly, take plenty of lessons with your demo skis. With 5-6 days a year under your belt, you will benefit most year-over-year by taking lessons every day you are out.

Also, I hear you about staying in control but one key to skiing variable terrain is to give up some of that control. That's not to say that you need to ski recklessly but rather that you need to forget about the interface between the ski and the snow and just focus on body position relative to the fall-line while staying relaxed. It's true about opinions so take mine for what it's worth. I battled with this control issue my first year living in Colorado but it is definitely a key element to skiing the kind of terrain you're interested in. The ski itself will make little difference.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 53
6. Re: Know a Breck ski shop demoing Blizzard and Icelantic skis?

I've been drooling over the Blizzard Black Pearls, too--couldn't find any place in Breck last year to demo. We'll be in Frisco Feb 5-Mar 7, so will have a little more time to hunt them down.

Boot fitting is definitely worth it! Christy Sports has a fabulous guarantee--if you buy boots there, and they work on them for a week, but never get them right, they'll refund your money. The last two times I bought boots, I spent a couple of hours on the initial fitting, then came in every evening for tweaking--and my feet (which always used to hurt and fall asleep in my boots) are happy.

Aspen, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Aspen
7. Re: Know a Breck ski shop demoing Blizzard and Icelantic skis?

Main Street Sports on Main Street might have your skis.

Agree with others that you buy good boots and rent skis, unless you're out 40-100 days a year. If you make it to Vail check out the demos at VailSports. The probably have the skis. Used to have a hut atop Northwoods chair, maybe still do, where you could demo all new stuff. Take a run, come back up and switch out your skis. Great idea. Don't get stuck on one ski. Try them all. My favs are Armada for pow and Kastle, a great all mountain ski IMO. Very responsive.

Hope it works out for you.

Colorado
Destination Expert
8. Re: Know a Breck ski shop demoing Blizzard and Icelantic skis?

"Don't get stuck on one ski."

But what if it's a mono ski? Armada can't come close to the 210mm I've got under foot.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco, Copper Mountain, Breckenridge
reviews: 18
9. Re: Know a Breck ski shop demoing Blizzard and Icelantic skis?

Try calling Precision Ski in Frisco 970-668-3095 or Podium Sports 970-668-9996 in Frisco - both have quality demos available.

10. Re: Know a Breck ski shop demoing Blizzard and Icelantic skis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 22, 2013