We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Denver to Breck at night?

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
reviews: 17
driving from Denver to Breck at night?

Our flight lands at 8:30pm and we plan to ski the next day. Is there any reason why we shouldn't drive into Breckenridge that night? We talked about staying the night in Denver to avoid the mountains at night.

Travel will be March 28. Thanks!

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
reviews: 21
1. Re: driving from Denver to Breck at night?

Doable but a lot will depend on the weather on the evening of March 28th.

My guess is if you land @ 8:30pm by the time you make your way to baggage claim, get your bags, go to car rental, get the car... you will be leaving 9:30pm or after. If roads are good, you are looking at 2 hrs+ to Breck.

Obviously longer if road conditions are bad.

Possible reasons not to drive to Breck that night,

1) late, just drive to west side of Denver, rent a hotel and get up and drive the next morning

2) hotel on west side of Denver probably cheaper than lodging up in Breck that you would pay that night

3) somewhat helping your body with acclimating by staying the night in Denver at 5,000' rather than heading up to 9600', being tired and then skiing next day.

If you are an hour ahead of Colorado time (assuming you are from Illinois), would you rather arrive at around midnight Colorado time (1am your time) or get up at 6amish Colorado time (7am your time) and drive up the next morning?

Matt

Aspen, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Aspen
2. Re: driving from Denver to Breck at night?

If the weather is good it's a nice drive even at night. However, waiting till morning and maybe missing a day skiing is not a bad idea. Breck is a high altitude resort with a base elevation of 9600 feet that can be a tough on ones body and lungs, esp if you decide to ride to the top at over 12K. On the flip side if you're flying in on Friday night that Saturday morning drive will be slow and may take double the normal drive time. Tough call.

^^I see Matt covered all the same points and nicely formatted.

Edited: 10:08 pm, December 19, 2012
Illinois
reviews: 17
3. Re: driving from Denver to Breck at night?

thanks all! I wasn't sure about driving thru the mountains at night. I think we're safer to plan to stay in Denver. Thanks!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 205
4. Re: driving from Denver to Breck at night?

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about the drive at night - have done it many times. It's a major interstate highway.

Good luck.

South Riding...
reviews: 13
5. Re: driving from Denver to Breck at night?

We've driven over the mountain about the same time of night you are thinking about driving. It's about 90 miles to Silverthorne/Dillon which is 15 miles from Breck. I'd recommend staying at a cheap place in Silverthorne/Dillon the night of arrival. Get up, drive 15 miles and go ski the next day.

During Dec 2011, it was snowing pretty hard during our night drive. Leaving the airport at 8pm, cars were skidding off the highway outside Denver. But it's like this - since we were only going 90 miles, I knew that just driving 25-30 miles an hour would get me there within 3 or 4 hours. Slow and steady.

6. Re: driving from Denver to Breck at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 31, 2013