We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Much Ski Wear/After Ski Wear to Bring for 7 days?

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 4
How Much Ski Wear/After Ski Wear to Bring for 7 days?

I am going to Breck at the end of December and will be celebrating New Year's Eve there with my boyfriend. We will be there 7 days. I have been browsing online and in some ski shops, but feel very overwhelmed by the choices- insulated vs shell, cheap vs. expensive, street wear vs. skiwear vs. snowboard wear, smart wool, thermals, hot chilis.. apres ski wear...I am beginning to feel stressed!!

Of course, I want to look stylish while there, but I want to be practical and smart about what to bring, and how much of it. So can anyone give me a comprehensive list of what is typically needed for skiing- layers, base layers, jacket, pants, etc., and also what to bring for apres ski wear?

Someone told me I needed to bring at least two ski jacket and pants in case one is wet.. then you can alternate between the two. Is this true? What are the best brands/fits for females? Do I need insulated or shells? I've also looked at snow boots - Sorel seems to be the best brand.. any opinions on these?

In addition, if we go snowmobiling or tubing, can I wear the ski wear or is it better to have more of a street wear jacket for this? I'd appreciate any guidance. I want to look good (I am a girl after all) and stay completely warm! Plus, I hate to be unprepared.

Fort Lauderdale
11. Re: How Much Ski Wear/After Ski Wear to Bring for 7 days?

Mexicocity, thank you very much for the detailed list. That is SO very helpful. We are staying in a condo so I think you may be right about being able to dry things overnight. I had not thought of that. Texranger, good to know about the gloves and hand warmers too. Although, drinking hot white russians, and maybe some hot chocolate with mint snapps, sounds like a heavenly way to spend a cold day.. :)

Atlanta, Georgia...
reviews: 57
12. Re: How Much Ski Wear/After Ski Wear to Bring for 7 days?

My husband says I am a bit of a gear freak when it comes to ski clothing, but I truly believe that the right gear makes all the difference in your happiness and comfort. It has taken me a while to figure out what works best for me.

Apres ski clothing is easy. Breck can be really cold after dark, but it is (thankfully) casual. I usually bring one pair of jeans and one pair of decent-looking yoga pants that I can wear in public, 2-3 sweaters (including what I wear on the plane) and a pair of silk long-underwear to put underneath at night. I don't ski in the silks. I never leave home without at least one pashmina scarf. I prefer to have two or three hats, preferably fleece-lined that cover my ears, and a pair of mittens if only because it gives my gloves a chance to dry.

For skiing, I adore my soft-shell pants. They aren't as warm as a hard shell or my insulated pants, but they are super comfortable and stretchy. I wear a pair of insulated compression tights underneath (CW-X brand) in a capri length so as not to add another layer inside my boots. If it is especially cold, I might layer a pair of Hot Chillys or a thicker pair of fleece tights underneath my ski pants. In my opinion, you can skimp a little and buy less expensive ski pants (as long as they are waterproof, its fine). There is a Christy's outlet in Frisco across from Walmart and the Main Street Outlet in downtown Breck have some great deals on last season and overstock clothing.

In rental ski boots, you might want a medium-weight smartwool sock. If you own boots, go for the thinnest ski sock you can find. Thick socks do not equal warmer feet. In fact, it is the opposite.

On my upper half, a good sports bra is a must. I usually do one or two layers of thin Hot Chillys and a fleecy mid-layer. I've found that the expensive fleece ones aren't any better than the cheap ones from Old Navy - the only difference is that the neck zipper area may have more protection from chafing. I do like a mid-layer with thumb holes though. Then I put on an insulated jacket - I only bring the one. I also use a fleece neck gaiter which I can pull up over my nose on the lift chair.

I can't imagine not having boots out there. You don't need the Sorel brand (though, I just bought a pair at The Clymb for 50% off!), but a decent waterproof lug-sole boot is a must. Work boots would be sufficient - even from Walmart.

Other musts: Goggles for on-mountain, sunglasses for off, good sunscreen - I like the Dermatone line Z-Cote tin, which is a high SPF and water-free, so it doesn't freeze, lip balm, and like an earlier poster said, a helmet and the best gloves you can afford. I love my brimmed helmet - it is far warmer than a hat and my goggles rarely fog when I wear.

OK
13. Re: How Much Ski Wear/After Ski Wear to Bring for 7 days?

We are once a year skiiers - so, we don't have a big variety of items. We all get by with one pair of pants and one jacket. My kids (20'ish) often ski in their base layer and a hoodie. That's way too cold for me on most days!! I agree that the bibs might keep more snow out. However... as a female I love (love) my ski pants that don't require as much undressing for the restroom.

Ditto the suggestion above for an extra pair of gloves. Gloves tend to get wet inside and be very hard to dry for the next day. And, yes, the hair dryer probably works better than the dryer for gloves.

Heed the advice about NOT wearing cotton for a base layer. And that more/heavier doesn't always equate to warmer. Layers are always the key. You may need to add or remove layers as the day goes on and the weather changes.

Most ski towns seem to be pretty casual in the evenings. I agree that jeans/cords will be fine. I do wear a base layer under those if its particularly cold.

Have a great time!!

Fort Lauderdale
14. Re: How Much Ski Wear/After Ski Wear to Bring for 7 days?

Thank you Ladies! This really helps me alot. blondinabmw (love the name btw- I'm a brunette in a BMW :)) I appreciate the specific details on what you pack, wear on the slopes and at night. I tend to overpack, since I'm always afraid of being unprepared, so it's good to think about how best to re-use items. I also have to keep in mind, anything I don't bring, I'm sure I can get while I'm there! One other question I had, was regarding waterproof items. I see some jackets/pants that say 10,000 waterproof and 10,000 breathable and some that don't.. Is there a huge difference? Do I need to look for items that have this specification?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 88
15. Re: How Much Ski Wear/After Ski Wear to Bring for 7 days?

The short answer is it makes no difference at all. I'd still urge you to get mittens instead of gloves if you're worried about your hands getting cold.

Hutchinson, Kansas
reviews: 5
16. Re: How Much Ski Wear/After Ski Wear to Bring for 7 days?

TJ Max & Walgreens has super comfy fleece lined leggings for around $5. They are VERY warm. I wouldn't go in the snow w/out mine and just bought my daughter a pair too (she's 12 and loves them).

New Orleans
reviews: 13
17. Re: How Much Ski Wear/After Ski Wear to Bring for 7 days?

Thanks Mom2AliandRy for posting this. You had all of my questions answered. We, too are going to Breckenridge at the end of December. Just starting my research and you helped make it a lot easier!

Frisco, CO
reviews: 2
18. Re: How Much Ski Wear/After Ski Wear to Bring for 7 days?

mittens 100%. I live here and wear only mittens. Go to walmart and buy a box of hand warmers and stick one in each mittens each day. They are cheap and will keep you happy all week.

Unless you can afford it, I would stick to basics, no high tech gear. There is a columbia outlet in Silverthorne where you can buy a good jacket and a good pair of ski pants for a reasonable price. I wouldn't buy anything in goretex etc for the first time. Sports authority in Dillon has lots of choices as well. Once you know that you love it and will return, then invest in a few technical gear. Perhaps the day you decide that you want to own your own skis would be a great time to also get the best gear you can afford.

Black ski pants and a nice colorful jacket will be all you need. Get a fleece, a neckwarmer and a base layer. (long john's type and top with long sleeves). no cotton. Get 1 or 2 pair of socks maximum. long enough so that they cover all the surface of your leg in your ski boot. Smartwool is a great brand. Don't get too thick. Just medium thickness. Remember that ONLY THE SOCKS go in your ski boots. no base layer! Your ski instructor will let you know that too. Bring these socks when you rent your boots.

It is best to get a jacket that is not too thick, roomy enough and put layers underneath. Too many beginners buy a huge puffy jacket thinking they need it to stay warm. You can spot them all on the hill less than an hour after they started with their jacket wide open. You need to be able to ski with your jacket closed at all times. An open jacket on the hill gets in the way and gives you away instantly :-) So, just get layers and peel them off as needed. As a beginner, you will be sweating a lot as nothing comes naturally the first time you go skiing.

Get good quality sunscreen as you may be out all day under a very bright sun. get a small tube and keep it in your ski jacket all day. same with chapstick.

Apres-ski clothing is whatever you want. if you are used to dressing up for dinner, just keep doing while visiting here. We live here, don't dress up much and feel comfortable anywhere we go.

For tubing, snowshoeing etc, just wear your ski gear. For tubing, many people wear their ski helmet as well.

Many places have washers/dryers so you can easily wash your clothes each day. Don't wash your jacket or ski pants each day unless you want to. They can last a few days before they need refreshing. many condos also provide boot dryers (all my condos have them) so you simply put your boots and gloves on and they will all dry by the next morning.

Have a lot of fun! Our area has a lot to offer and we are all glad to be able to share it with you.

19. Re: How Much Ski Wear/After Ski Wear to Bring for 7 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 20, 2013