We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Totally beginners!!! Beaver Creek or Vail????

Which Beaver Creek hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buenos Aires...
reviews: 1
Totally beginners!!! Beaver Creek or Vail????

We will be going in the beginning of march, 2013 for 10 days.

We are totally beginners. Never, never have use any boot and ski, and anything. A whole new world for us. We want to learn to ski.

We are 2 adults (early forties) and 2 girls (14 & 11 y.o).

Would you recommend Beaver Creek over Vail?.

I was doing some research and Beaver Creek looks pretty small, but I read somewhere that they have best ski school for kids and adults, and have less people skiing where the beginners are trying to not fall or bump the other skiers.

About hotels, does it worths to be at The Osprey, which have a lift right at the door, or that is no a big deal.

Any advice on that -and also on renting the equipment, insurance for risky activity, and whatever you consider usefull- will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

denver
reviews: 23
1. Re: Totally beginners!!! Beaver Creek or Vail????

Either one will have good ski schools. In general I think BC is less crowded, but the instructors will know which runs to take you on to avoid the crowds/other skiers.

With 10 days, you have plenty of time to see both and also some others in summit county (breckenridge/copper mountain/keystone) if you will have a car. Just remember to stay hydrated which helps avoid altitude sickness.

Re. hotel, if you want the convenience of ski in/ski out, Osprey sounds good. Most hotels will be on the bus route, but that would add to the time needed to get to the slopes in the morning.

Buena Suerte, espero que se divierten!

Aspen, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Aspen
2. Re: Totally beginners!!! Beaver Creek or Vail????

I'd pick BC any day over Vail for beginners. Smaller is actually better IMO though BC is a very expensive resort. Also nice is that it is at a lower altitude (2500 m), Breckenridge base is nearly 3000 meters. Note your lift tix at BC allows you to use Vail, Breck, and Keystone, but not Copper which would be a separate lift tix.

re: rentals -- lots of places wherever you choose to stay. Your insurance point is a bit confusing. If you get hurt and need medical attention then your personal medical coverage can be used. If uninsured don't count on buying a policy for the 10 days you're on the hill. They'll want cash or credit card, e.g. son's broken wrist snowboarding about $4K.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 195
3. Re: Totally beginners!!! Beaver Creek or Vail????

Same company but Beaver Creek gives you more intimacy so I would recommend. Osprey is fantastic and just a walk across the street to the slopes. Park Hyatt would be another great option, similar quality but bigger and located right on the slopes.

Have fun.

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Totally beginners!!! Beaver Creek or Vail????

Thank you to all you three for your fast comments.

dnvrjeep:

I thought I was getting short of time with only 10 days to learn skiing, but you are considering that enough, even to visit some other spots. Would you recomend to rent a SUV?. Does it worth it ?

"Buena Suerte, espero que se divierten!".

Muchas gracias, dnvrjeep !!!

Texranger:

As foreigners, we have to get some medical insurance anyway (Universal Assistance or Assist Card), but I am afraid that they not cover risky activities as skiing (or parasiling or swimming with sharks, which we did last year, ougghhh!!). I do not want to get a mortgage to pay hospital bills. Maybe there is a special insurance to cover this activity.

TumbleweedandCactus & dnvrjeep:

I was considering The Osprey, but last night I found out also interesting The Pines Lodge. I am trying to figure out how the access to the lifts works. I read about escalators located somewhere, gondolas, and buses, but I still can not picture in my mind how everything works. I have seen the roof of the lift at the door of The Osprey in Google Earth, and another roof with chairs lift across Elk street, but the rest is still a mistery for me. I understand that BC is a expensive spot, but I do not want to pay anyway and be far from the action. Consider that, as complete beginners, we will be constrained at the easy part of the slopes taking adult lessons, while the girls will have to attend kids ski school. Adding a bus ride to get there is not what I am looking for.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 50
5. Re: Totally beginners!!! Beaver Creek or Vail????

Agree with Beaver Creek, much better place to learn. Yes you can learn to ski in 10 days. That is a very nice amount of time. Beaver Creek is smaller than Vail but it is not small. There is plenty there to keep you entertained.

Denver, CO
reviews: 14
6. Re: Totally beginners!!! Beaver Creek or Vail????

to be closest to the ski school in BC...stay at The Park Hyatt, Poste Montaine or Beaver Creek Lodge

Sugar Land
reviews: 344
7. Re: Totally beginners!!! Beaver Creek or Vail????

I totally agree about Beaver Creek over Vail. BC has much friendlier green runs and more of them, plus you should be able to ski green runs at the top of one of the peaks and there is a lift that only serves greens so you won't have to worry much about advanced skiers zipping past you. If snow is a problem (like last year), most of the green BC runs will be open, unlike Vail. BC is also usually less crowded. The St. James & Oxford Ct are condos that are close by.

8. Re: Totally beginners!!! Beaver Creek or Vail????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, December 15, 2013