We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotwire Car Rentals

Which Woodland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern California
reviews: 10
Hotwire Car Rentals

I am curious if anyone has used Hotwire.com to rent a car. I just did some rental research and have consulted a variety of sites, and Hotwire came back with a quote that was half as much as any of the other sites. This seems strange to me, especially since they say my card will not be charged till I return the car.

I hesitate to book through them, as I fear that it might be too good to be true. I worry that when I go to return the car, I will be faced with a bill that is more close the estimates the other websites are giving me. Essentially, my question is, for anyone who has used Hotwire with a car rental, was the estimate accurate upon returning the car?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 68
1. Re: Hotwire Car Rentals

You can search the California state forum for numerous posts about Hotwire or check one of these websites: http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums/10 or http://www.betterbidding.com/

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 51
2. Re: Hotwire Car Rentals

There's good news and there's bad news....

1. The hotwire.com quotes do not include extended insurance. So, if you are not covered through your own personal car insurance or through your credit card, then you will have to pay more to cover the insurance. Of course, this would be true of any site that does not include extended insurance.

2, Most car rental sites, hertz.com, etc do not collect payment until after the car is returned but in order to get the keys to the car, you need to sign a contract which will painstakingly itemize all of the charges (some of which you will need to 'initial' in order to include them contract). So, it's impossible to be 'faced with a bill that is more close to the estimates of the other websites' without KNOWING IN ADVANCE that your costs will be higher. READ THE CONTRACT!

3. Hotwire.com is part of a large FAMILY of travel companies which includes Hotels.com, Expedia.com and, yes, tripadvisor.com so this is a good, solid company with nothing to hide.

3. Re: Hotwire Car Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 09, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Woodland
Recent Conversations