We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watsonville versus Santa Cruz

Which Watsonville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois City...
Watsonville versus Santa Cruz

Hi- We are traveling to California in July. We are planning to drive Highway 1 from San Francisico to either Santa Cruz or Watsonville on the 1st day. We were planning on staying 2 nights in either Santa Cruz or Watsonville so we could drive to Monterey the next day to explore, but then wanted to head back to Watsonville for the night, since we would be leaving for Yosemite the following day. I have never heard of Watsonville before, but noticed that hotels prices are a bit cheaper in this area than in Santa Cruz. Is this a safe are to stay in? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks-

7 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Watsonville versus Santa Cruz

I would suggest you stay in Santa Cruz and not Watsonville. It is a great farming town and chances are that the Artichockes you eat come from there. Santa Cruz is fun and had great restaurants

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
2. Re: Watsonville versus Santa Cruz

If you want to visit Santa Cruz or Monterey, then I would stay in Santa Cruz or Monterey rather than trying to split the difference and stay someplace that you don't actually want to visit. Watsonville is fine and reasonably safe, but it doesn't have a whole lot to recommend it to visitors. It is an agricultural town for the most part.

For your itinerary, Monterey makes the most sense for your 2 overnights.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
3. Re: Watsonville versus Santa Cruz

Actually, the artichokes probably come from Castroville. Watsonville is known for strawberries :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
4. Re: Watsonville versus Santa Cruz

I stand corrected castroville and Watsonville two villes with strawberry and artichokes. We did go strawberry picking many many years ago so I should have remembered. :-)

Illinois City...
5. Re: Watsonville versus Santa Cruz

Thank you- I will start looking into Monterey for hotels

Take care!

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
6. Re: Watsonville versus Santa Cruz

Let us know what you are looking for in a hotel - probably best to start a new thread in the Monterey board - we can help you choose a good one in your budget.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
7. Re: Watsonville versus Santa Cruz

Here is the skinny on Santa Cruz. Monterey and Santa Cruz are about an hour apart. Take your choice. Santa Cruz hotel prices may or may not be cheaper than Monterey. It depends upon what you want....bay view or?

Let me know if I can help you with that issue in Santa Cruz.

Watsonville is no way a tourist venue. I am not knocking it, I taught there for 23 years, but it is not a place to include in a vacation.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g33048-c133677/Santa-…

Edited: 9:27 pm, January 19, 2012
Reply to: Watsonville versus Santa Cruz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Watsonville