We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visalia for July 4th

Which Visalia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
reviews: 6
Visalia for July 4th

I'm planning to come to Visalia on July 3 to watch a baseball game and then stay over in Visalia or nearby for a couple of nights. I'm really into authentic Mexican food (I'm an adventurous foodie) , fresh produce stands, anything to do with water (rivers, lakes, canals, irrigation), anything industrial, and anything historic. I'm thinking of bringing my bike. I've put togeter some amazing trips with tripadvisor help but, I know i'm not giving a lot of time for response. Any advice is welcome !!!

2 replies to this topic
Visalia, CA
reviews: 37
1. Re: Visalia for July 4th

There is a Farmers Market downtown on Main St every Thursday night. There is another at the Sequoia Mall (Corner Mooney & Caldwell) on Saturday mornings. There is also a permanent fruit stand at the SE corner of Caldwell & Lover's Lane.

The Vallarta market in north Visalia has a Mexican food bar and it's always crowded there. There is also La Mejor Carnaceria in Farmersville (about 2-3 miles east of Visalia). For more of a restaurant experience I like El Tarasco on Main St. El Rosal is also good. My current favorite place for a burrito is actually in Armona, about 20 minutes west of Visalia. There is also a taco truck located off Hwy 99 at Mt View avenue, about 20 min north of Visalia which has very good burritos, tortas, & tacos. There are many good choices for dining in town besides Mexican. If you stroll down Main St you'll find a lot of restaurants to choose from, most of which are pretty good. If you let me know your tastes I will try to steer you right.

I don't know where you plan on riding your bike but it is going to be over 100'F for the next several days. It doesn't cool off at night either. The expected temp at 9pm tonight is 91'.

As far as water, about the only outdoor water you're going to see is the hotel pool. Because of the drought there is little water flowing around town. If you have never been to Sequoia Park it is an easy day trip. You can go up to the park and stop at the candy store in Three Rivers on the way back. Their balcony overlooks one fork of the river.

As for historical, there's not much here. The End Of The Trail statue is at Mooney's Grove Park. The original was sent to the Cowboy Hall of Fame in OKC back in the sixties and a bronze replica was cast. There is a plaque on Main St where the old Visalia saddle shop was located.

Let me know if you have any questions.

los angeles
reviews: 6
2. Re: Visalia for July 4th

Thanks for your detailed response !!!

Ok, so, I stopped in Bakersfield for a fix at Los Tacos de Huicho on my way and since I left LA late I didn't have time for much before getting to the Visalia baseball field. I'm not a huge baseball fan but like to go to a few games every year and especially like exploring different major and minor league parks. So, Visalia is amazing because the baseball park is really small and the teams on the field include a lot of strong hitters. It seemed like every inning 3-4 balls foul balls flew out of the park. The guy next to me said he never parks his car out there !! The fireworks were also great because they were set off so close.

I'm sorry I missed the Thurs night market (coz was on the way to baseball) that would rate hight on my favorite kind of thing.. I'm heading out now to check the fruit stand at the SE corner of Caldwell & Lover's Lane and the Vallarta market and La Mejor Carnaceria in Farmersville. I'll report back on what I find / eat !! Ill be back at Bakersfield on my way tonight them take on Modesto (and more fireworks)

Thanks again for your help !!

Reply to: Visalia for July 4th
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted