We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visalia to Moro Rock?

Which Visalia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jonesboro, Indiana
Visalia to Moro Rock?

We are staying in Visalia in June. We want to climb Moro Rock. I have read that you need to get there early in the morning before they close the road. How much time do I need to allow to arrive at Moro Rock early enough?

2 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
1. Re: Visalia to Moro Rock?

If I am not mistaken it's 8:30. The only way to know for sure is to contact the park. The shuttles start running just before 9 a.m., and so I think they have it timed so that the last car can go into the trailheads at 8:30. It's about 40 minutes from Visalia to the Park Entry kiosk; stop and pay; hope for no line there; then about 45 minutes up the winding 198 to Moro Rock (take the hard right when you get to the top of the hill and see the crosswalk and the history center). So leaving by 7 a.m. should get you there in time - but do check by emailing here:

http://www.nps.gov/seki/contacts.htm

Their phone number has been experiencing technical difficulties. They publish the Spring hours when the snow melts - and each year it's a little different. If the road is closed at 8:00 a.m., you'll need to leave Visalia by 6:30 a.m.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
2. Re: Visalia to Moro Rock?

They don't close the road on weekdays so you should be OK on a Friday. However, the small parking lots fills early so you should get there before 9 anyway. When we were there, there was a ranger talk at the top each day at 9am that was interesting but they may or may not have them this year at that time.

I would stay in Three Rivers instead of Visalia. You will be closer to the park.

Reply to: Visalia to Moro Rock?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted