We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast spots

Which Visalia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
reviews: 6
Breakfast spots

Hello Visalians! Any suggestions for breakfast places, possibly local as opposed to chains? There will be a group of 6-8 of us visiting at the end of April. Staying at the Hampton, but certainly willing to drive 15-20 miles for a memorable place :)

Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 44
1. Re: Breakfast spots

Hello, TXtrish, and welcome to the Visalia forum.

Lots of chains in Visalia for breakfast, including Hometown Buffet, but that's not what you are looking for. Here in the San Joaquin Valley, there *are* some mom and pop type places that serve breakfast, though I'm not aware of anything to suggest in Visalia itself that meets your criteria.

Try The Green Valley Cafe in Hanford, just about that proverbial 15 - 20 miles away to the west on California State Route 198. Exit 10th Avenue and head north to the restaurant at 740 North 10th Avenue in Hanford, in the NE part of Hanford closest to Visalia. (559) 583-1831 is the telephone for them. Lots of huge pancakes, omelettes, chicken fried steak, and biscuits and gravy. Very generous portions in my experience. Beats the chains hands down. Check 'em out!

If you are able to have a meal at 11:00 AM or later, Superior Dairy Products, 325 North Douty Street in downtown Hanford is the spot for ice cream and sandwiches. . . emphasis on the fresh ice cream. Fifties style diner and experience.

Enjoy your travels with us.

Lancaster...
2. Re: Breakfast spots

Hello TXtrish,

I am originally from Visalia and still have family there. Here is my suggestion for breakfast:

http://valhallarestaurantvisalia.com/

Vahalla is a Unique restaurant/gift shop. My family has made our Christmas Eve day breakfast plans there (up to 14 at times) and have found it to be wonderful. There are small rooms that can be closed off, or left open and a larger dining room. Really good breakfast, friendly service! It gets my vote! Enjoy your time in Visalia.

Jon

Edited: 1:38 am, March 26, 2013
Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
3. Re: Breakfast spots

Thanks, Jon for that suggestion.

Looks like we Antelope Valleyites that have San Joaquin Valley knowledge and connections - like family - are helping out the Visalians here. Anyone living in Visalia or nearby want to chime in their two cents? (smile) Friendly bump. . .

Houston
4. Re: Breakfast spots

Thank y'all! We will try both! The Green Valley Cafe in Hanford will be perfect for the day we head over to Paso Robles. And Valhalla will be great for when we get back - who wouldn't want to visit Valhalla!? We will have two more days of breakfasts to fill - if any other places come to mind...

Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
5. Re: Breakfast spots

TXtrish, Apple Annie's comes to mind. Right off of California State Route 99 in Tulare at the Prosperity exit on the west side of the route. I've heard good and bad about 'em. They are a "billboard" known place that advertises that way along 99. Tulare is about 11 miles from Visalia to the south. Let us know what you think! I can recommend places for lunch if you like easier than I can for breakfast, if interested.

Houston
6. Re: Breakfast spots

Thanks Underdog! Looks like breakfast is taken care of - so, yes please - toss out some lunch ideas!

Lancaster...
7. Re: Breakfast spots

Well, Canton on Main Street at Santa Fe is one my family and I have gone to for dinner, but they have lunch hours also! :)

Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
8. Re: Breakfast spots

Besides Superior Dairy in Hanford, already mentioned tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32471-d51… there's a restaurant in Visalia you'd swear was the original Naugles Mexican fast food chain restaurant! That's because it is. . . owned by the nephew of Dick Naugle, the founder of Naugles. Californians will remember Naugles, no doubt fondly. Like In-N-Out in terms of quality and experience. Here's the link for BT's: …blogspot.com/2009/08/buns-torts.html and the address: 1530 South Mooney Blvd. in Visalia. Also try The Lunch Box in Visalia downtown at 112 North Court St. for soups, salads, and sandwiches. . . other items too.

Edited: 5:45 pm, March 26, 2013
Houston
9. Re: Breakfast spots

Thank y'all so much! I will be the hero of the trip - keeping everyone full and happy ;)

Visalia, CA
reviews: 34
10. Re: Breakfast spots

Valhalla would be a good breakfast choice. Another one would be the Corner Cafe on Ben Maddox & Cain. If you go to Valhalla I recommend the Valhalla special.

There are plenty of good local restaurants on Main St or just off it where you can go for lunch including: fine dining, Mexican, Italian, Chinese, brewpub, American, sandwich shops, Japanese, etc. If you let me know what kind of food or experience you're looking for I will make suggestions.

Reply to: Breakfast spots
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted