We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaweah Delta Hospital

Which Visalia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
georgia
Kaweah Delta Hospital

I will be working at this hospital for the next 3 - 4 months. I am told my housing will be 2-3 miles from the hospital. I will NOT have a car.

1. How is the public transportation in Visalia?

2. Are the houses that are 2-3 miles from KDDH in a safe area?

3. The bus...how often do they run? safety?

Thanks.

12 replies to this topic
Fresno, California
1. Re: Kaweah Delta Hospital

The bus service in Visalia is good for a smaller town of 125,000 residents. There are routes covering most of the city with seasonal service to Sequoia National Park that starts in May.

Weekdays the routes run 6am to 9:30pm with route frequency that is scheduled at 15 mins between busses up to 1 hour depending upon the individual route.

Maps and schedules here:

…visalia.ca.us/depts/…default.asp

In terms of housing safety (hotel or other) without knowing the specific location I don't think anyone can advise. But there are many safe areas in Visalia.

georgia
2. Re: Kaweah Delta Hospital

Thank you...this was helpful. I will re post when I am assigned housing. I have a choice of flying into Fresno or Bakersfield. Both seem to be decent airports. Any preference?

Fresno, California
3. Re: Kaweah Delta Hospital

I've heard different airport choices from different people I know in Visalia, but I don't know the reasons for their preferences.

But Fresno might be the easier option unless Bakersfield turned out to be much cheaper for your routing. The Fresno airport is about 45 miles from Visalia vs Bakersfield's 70 miles. The Fresno airport is the larger of the two and would provide more flight and connection choices since it is served by 8 airlines; Bakersfield has only 2 airlines with a total of only 11 non-stop flights.

There is also a small airline in Visalia (Great Lakes Airlines) with 2 flights per day from LAX on 19 seat aircraft. But the limited schedule may not make that a good choice.

You would probably want to check ticket schedules/prices for all three airports as part of your choice though.

There is no public transportation from either the Fresno airport or Bakersfield airport to Visalia. You would need to arrange a van service or town car. The hospital may have an arrangement with a transportation company so check with them first.

Otherwise you might contact this company which advertises service between Visalia and both Fresno and Bakersfield airports.

http://www.theclassicstatus.com

georgia
4. Re: Kaweah Delta Hospital

FresnoFacts---

You have been very kind. Thank you. My housing is at Cameron Crossing. I am told its 2.5miles from Kaweah Hospital. What say you about safety?

Fresno, California
5. Re: Kaweah Delta Hospital

Gdude7 lives in Visalia, hopefully he can add some details for you.

I pulled up the address and that appears to be just south of Court and Caldwell Avenues. That is a newer area, there are very nice upper income neighborhoods nearby just north of Caldwell. As far as I know those apartments should be very safe.

For a several month stay like yours it seems to be a good spot. Transit line 2 looks to run within 200-300 yards of there. That would go straight down Court Street to within one city block of the hospital.

…visalia.ca.us/civicax/…

About 1/2 to 1 mile west on Cameron is a major commercial area with Costco, Target, restaurants, etc. That should provide for most needs you would have during your stay.

If you need any other information for your visit there let me know.

Visalia, CA
reviews: 39
6. Re: Kaweah Delta Hospital

FresnoFacts gave you some good info. Here's what i know. Fly into Fresno. It is closer and only about 45-50 min from where you will be staying. Your neighborhood is not very far from where I live and should be perfectly safe. I sometimes ride my bike around there. I will try to remember to drive by & take another look but I think the apartments are relatively new. Maybe a 4-5 years old. You are on the southside of town and the city ends not far from where you're staying. The location is relatively close to shopping about 1-1.5 miles down Cameron to Super Target, Super W-M, World Market, Costco,etc & chain (mostly) dining. 1 stop sign & 1 traffic signal between you & them.

Visalia does have transit service but I've never used it so I'm not sure what to tell you there. Personally I would not want to spend 3-4 months in Visalia without a vehicle and you really should have one.

Downtown Visalia is really nice (and right by the hospital). There are all types of great local restaurants and places to hang out. There is live entertainment on weekends, a movie theater & live theater as well as an A league baseball team. If you want to explore on days off we are about 1.5 hours to Paso Robles for wine tasting, 2.25 hours to the central coast, and maybe 40 min from Sequoia Park.

I hope you enjoy your stay here. Personally I think Visalia's a great town. (Sorry if I sound like homer but I was on a city committee for several years, lol). But I really think having a car would make it A LOT easier for you. If you have any questions let me know & I'll try to help out.

georgia
7. Re: Kaweah Delta Hospital

Visalia is beautiful. Some days off ...I walk it to the "Downtown" areas. The bus system works, however not to get me there for 0600. Thank you.

Fresno, California
8. Re: Kaweah Delta Hospital

Thanks for checking back, glad to hear it is going well for you.

Keep an eye out for the start of the seasonal shuttle bus from Visalia to Sequoia National Park. It is currently scheduled to start running May 23. Definitely a day off trip you want to make before you leave the area.

Visalia, CA
reviews: 39
9. Re: Kaweah Delta Hospital

Glad you're enjoying your stay. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with. Also make sure you grab a hot dog at Taylor's before you leave town. It is a local landmark located a block north of the Fox Theater.

Irvine, California
reviews: 228
10. Re: Kaweah Delta Hospital

Considered riding a bike? The weather is nice and the hospital just installed a secured bicycle enclosure. Also, I'm sure there are other employees that live in your area with your same hours (3,600+ employees) consider car pooling with someone. The way more expensive option would be to lease a car...not sure the bus system will meet your needs....There is a lot to explore around here....I believe a car would be essential..work out a deal with your recruiter? They should of put closer to hospital if they are not providing transportation!

Reply to: Kaweah Delta Hospital
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted