We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Sequoia Park from Visalia?

Which Visalia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
reviews: 25
Trip to Sequoia Park from Visalia?

HI, I am coming to Visalia on Monday for about a week for business. If I have an afternoon free in the middle of the week (I won't be there over the weekend) , is there time to drive to Sequoia Park which I see from a map is somewhat close to Visalia? Is it worth the drive (how long?) to the Park, is it easy to find? I will have a rental car and will be alone but this may be my only opp to see this Park (which I have not researched at all yet). Opinions welcomed, thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
1. Re: Trip to Sequoia Park from Visalia?

It's just an hour and a half drive to the Giant Forest. If the weather is good, go for it. Right now there's winter storm warnings in the Sierra and it wouldn't be a good time to go but it could clear up by the middle of next week.

You would probably have to carry tire chains. You should post on the Sequoia National Park forum and ask about that there.

http://www.sequoia.national-park.com/how.htm

San Diego...
reviews: 29
2. Re: Trip to Sequoia Park from Visalia?

The directions are easy, just take California Highway 198 east from Visalia and stay on it. It's a 45-minute drive from Visalia to the park entrance, then about another 45 minutes, I believe to the Giant Forest area of the park. So you can budget 90 minutes for getting to the Giant Forest, then whatever time you spend there, then 90 minutes getting back to Visalia. Highway 198 is very winding with many curves, so if you are prone to carsickness at all, take Dramamine and/or ginger root pills before starting the drive.

Currently there is a winter storm in that area, but I don't know if it is leaving snow or ice on the roads. You will need to check the park's road conditions before starting the drive. The forecast seems to show rain only and not snow, and it appears to indicate sunny skies starting on Tuesday. However tire chains could be required for the tires of your car, if the storm leaves snow or ice on the road. You may be required to have them in the car even if you're not required to use them. The park's web site will list what the current requirements are.

The Generals' Highway which connects Sequoia National Park with Kings Canyon National Park is closed through April 1st. But you should still be able to get to the Giant Forest area from Visalia.

Before starting on your drive, check the park's web site at nps.gov/seki/…road-conditions.htm for the current conditions, and/or call (559) 565-3341 (then press 1, 1, 1) for the most up-to-date road status and advisories.

Boston
3. Re: Trip to Sequoia Park from Visalia?

Holy-Moly, the weather conditions never occurred to me! I will be coming back again in the Summer so I think I will wait! But thanks so much for your responses!

San Diego...
4. Re: Trip to Sequoia Park from Visalia?

I believe that conditions to drive up into the park will be OK as long as you go on Wednesday or later. If you are there in the summer, though, the city of Visalia operates a shuttle from Visalia up to the park and back. The round trip ticket is only $15, and it also saves you the trouble of doing the driving yourself. And it also saves you the park entry fee ($25 for the car), as you do not pay that if you ride the shuttle bus to the park. More info at …visalia.ca.us/depts/…default.asp

Boston
5. Re: Trip to Sequoia Park from Visalia?

Thanks, I will keep this in mind for my next trip. Just got here yesterday and like this town very much- super friendly people and a sweet Main Street!

San Diego...
6. Re: Trip to Sequoia Park from Visalia?

The weather is supposed to be clear and sunny there tomorrow, if you want to make a day trip up to the park. For the current road conditions call (559) 565-3341 and press 1, 1, then 1.

Reply to: Trip to Sequoia Park from Visalia?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Visalia