We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Business visit to Visalia coming up

Which Visalia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
reviews: 25
Business visit to Visalia coming up

Hi all, I am scheduled to come to Visalia for a business trip to the Kaweah Med Center on Mineral King Ave sometime later this month.

Couple of questions: can you recommend a quiet, decent hotel to stay at in that area (nothing luxurious, around $180 a night)?

Is there an airport in town or do I need to drive from somewhere else once I come in from Boston?

If there's an airport, is there a car rental place there?

Thanks all!

7 replies to this topic
Fresno, California
1. Re: Business visit to Visalia coming up

There is a regular poster from Visalia who can add more to this but let me give you some info to start.

The Kaweah Delta Medical Center is in downtown Visalia. The closest 2 hotels would be either the Visalia Marriott or the Comfort Suites on Acequia (be careful there are 2 Comfort Suites in Visalia). Both of those hotels are only a 2 or 3 block walk to the Medical Center. I have stayed at that Marriott once in the last couple of years and found it quiet and clean.

If you have a preference for a different hotel brand (if you are points loyal), most of the majors have locations of their limited service brands around Visalia (the only other full-service I am aware of is Holiday Inn). But other hotels would be several miles away.

Downtown Visalia is small, clean and well kept and there are 30 or 40 restaurants, many shops, and entertainment choices. If you want restaurant recommendations just post back.

Airport - Visalia has a very small airport with only 2 flights a day from LAX on 19 seat aircraft. The flights are operated by Great Lakes Air. I am not sure but I believe Great Lakes has a codeshare with United for connections. There is on-site car rental in Visalia from Enterprise.

The closest airport besides that would be Fresno, about 45 miles from downtown Visalia. The Fresno airport is served by United, Delta, American, US Airways, Alaska and Allegiant along with 2 airlines flying to Mexico.

I hear some people travel to/from Visalia using the Bakersfield airport, about 75 miles south of Visalia. But there are limited flight choices in Bakersfield.

Boston
2. Re: Business visit to Visalia coming up

Thanks very much Fresno. This trip just got confirmed today so now I need to get up to speed. I am a fan of Holiday Inns so I think I'll stay there and it sounds like I should plan to fly into Fresno. Thanks again!

Fresno, California
3. Re: Business visit to Visalia coming up

The Holiday Inn is a good property but is located on the west edge of the city near the Visalia airport (more of a highway location than in-city location). Not much around that hotel, no out-of-the-hotel restaurant choices located within a couple of miles so you'll need to drive for anything not found in the hotel. It is about 5 miles from the Holiday Inn to the hospital. As long as you are aware of that it should work fine.

Visalia, CA
reviews: 34
4. Re: Business visit to Visalia coming up

FF has given you good advice. I would recommend that you stay in downtown. There is a Marriott & a Comfort Suites and both are only a few blocks from Kaweah Delta. Visalia has a nice downtown area. There are a lot of great local restaurants to choose from and several entertainment options including a movie theater, live music & a children's playhouse theater, all within a short walk.

There is nothing wrong with the Holiday Inn but it is about 10 min from KDDH and you will have to drive if you want to eat anywhere else but the hotel restaurant.

As FF mentioned there is an airport in Visalia but most people fly out of Fresno. It's only a 45-50 min drive and is serviced by American, Delta, United, & US Air. There are some car rental companies there.

If you let me know what kind of food or dining experience you like I will be happy to give you recs. In downtown Visalia you will find Mexican, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, brewpub, & steak as well as fine dining. Again, these are all within a short walk of the Marriott or Comfort Suites downtown. Let me know if you have any questions.

Boston
5. Re: Business visit to Visalia coming up

Thanks Gdude 7. I did talk at length with the folks I will work with and they also recommened the Marriott so I'll stay there. What might be helpful to me is if you know of any pubs that play live Irish music during the week. I am a fiddle student and try to visit Irish pubs whereever I go. Otherwise, it sounds like I'll be good with the choices of restaurant types you mentioned above. I will be flying into Fresno as that was the best way my travel agent could send me anyway. California, here I come (back)!

Visalia, CA
reviews: 34
6. Re: Business visit to Visalia coming up

Unfortunately there are no Irish pubs in Visalia but there are a lot of places with live entertainment on Main St. Brewbaker's almost always has live music. Some of the coffee houses do too. Many of the restaurants have music on the w/e. There is a place called The Celler Door that often features up & coming Indie groups. They get a lot of bands coming thru and playing here on their way to LA or SF.

Here are some restaurant recs:

Fine Dining: The Vintage Press (one of the best restaurants in the valley, great wine list). Tommy's (if you go get the bread pudding for dessert. It's fantastic). The Depot (owned by the same family who own the VP. Had a great meal there a few weeks ago).

Italian: Fugazzi's; Little Italy

Mexican: El Tarasco, Alejandra's

Steak: Double L (Always had good meals here but have heard a few complaints)

Brewpub: Brewbakers (Great beer, good root beer too. I like their burgers with garlic fries but always order med rare so they don't overcook it).

American, misc: Cafe 225 (chicken, fish, burgers. Reasonable prices).

Chinese: Canton

Let me know if you have any questions.

Boston
7. Re: Business visit to Visalia coming up

Thanks again! Too bad about the Irish pubs. Oh well. I will go with this list of restaurants. It stinks to eat alone while away on business but at least I know I can eat well!

Reply to: Business visit to Visalia coming up
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted