We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip along the coast to Ukiah

Which Ukiah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Sinai, New...
reviews: 13
trip along the coast to Ukiah

We are planning an overnight trip from San Fransico to Ukiah and thought the trip up the coast to rt 253 into Ukiah for the night would be a nice drive.

Planning on going south to Merced the next day, the on to Yosemite.

Any thoughts and "must see" stops on the way with this idea?

Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
menlo park, ca
reviews: 66
1. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

it would be a nicer drive if you stayed on hwy 1 through the Mendocino County coastal towns of Elk, Albion, and Mendocino, and took 20 over from Ft Bragg. A bit longer, but if you have gone this far, might as well see those towns too. I'd suggest that you take hwy 1 all the way from just north of the Golden Gate Bridge, since the initial parts of the road are gorgeous. That's one of the prettiest drives you can take in Calif.

Lassen National...
reviews: 11
2. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

Hi,

I know that area pretty well, but do not know rt 253? Can you link a map or clarify. Does anyone else know this route?

Are you visiting family in Ukiah?

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
3. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

253 goes from Boonville to Ukiah. I've never driven it since I've never driven to the coast from Ukiah. It is certainly doable but agree with dhauk that if driving that far, you might as well go all the way to Mendocino which is the highlight of the coastal drive in that part of Northern California. Then, you could drive down Hwy 128 to Boonville which is a scenic road too and then head over to Ukiah on 253.

Los Angeles, CA
reviews: 12
4. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

If you're looking at Ukiah as a place to stay, there are nicer towns in which to stay, especially along the coast. Nothing against Ukiah, but for the most part, it's not a tourist-oriented town. And it's very hot in the summer.

Hwy 253 is just a twisty road through the hills between Boonville and the south end of Ukiah. Nothing spectacular, IMO.

As others have said, travel north on Hwy 1 and stay in Mendocino or Fort Bragg. Then head east on either Hwy 20 to Willits or Hwy 128 through the Anderson Valley and the towns of Philo and Boonville. I prefer the Hwy 128 route. A bit more scenic through Anderson Valley wine country.

Mount Sinai, New...
5. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

The reason we are going to Ukiah is that my brother did a similar trip last year and stayed in Ukiah at the same hotel and said it was a great destination from San Fransico to see the redwoods before going to Yosemite.

He went up and down rt 101.

Not really stopping at the wineries this trip(Hope to come again ), just want to pass thru this time.

It was my idea to see the beautiful California coast I've read about on the way up.

I read that rt253 connected nicely with Ukiiah.

Looking for the scenic routes. Your suggestions are great! Otherwise everything are letters and numbers on the map.

No family in Ca. but my family does works in the hositality industry and we get some great rates at certain hotels, hence Ukiah and Merced and San Fransico, but we do stay at others.

On the way down to Merced, any suggestions?

Thanks to Trip Advisor I have the next part planned out.

I really.appreciate your suggestions Thanks very much.

Lassen National...
6. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

Ah. I think you''ll like the route that dhauk suggested or bigdog for a faster, but still pretty drive. I think you'll wish to stay a night or more in Mendocino or Fort Bragg. Then when you are ready to see the redwoods (just the Avenue of the Giants or north to the National Park?) you can drive from Fort Bragg or Mendocino to the Avenue of the Giants, spend the day, then drive south to Ukiah for the night. If you are going to the national park you'll need a night further north--Trinidad or Crescent City.

Santa Cruz...
reviews: 1
7. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

Uh imo staying in Merced isn't worth your money even with a reduced rate. In my experience the Central Valley is not scenic or tourist-worthy, but maybe others have other opinions (which I'd like to hear)?

As far as the coastal drive, Ukiah isn't necessary to see during daylight and I think it'd be better to do a late drive there from Mendocino than cutting it short if you were entertaining a notion of 'enjoying the town.' Again, my opinion.

Lassen National...
8. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

I pretty much agree. Ukiah would be a very nice place to live though. If they had a little more time they could go right from the coast to the mountains and Yosemite at the east entrance. When is this trip? There are some fires in the mountains & perhaps Ukiah area--check out Cal Fire for up to date info. Also the valley is going to be up to 110 degrees this weekend.

Mount Sinai, New...
9. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

Also, we are traveling up there from San Fransico on Labor Day, do think that will make a difference anywhere? Traffic wise?

Lassen National...
10. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

Most people head home on Monday, so you should be going opposite of most everyone.

Reply to: trip along the coast to Ukiah
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted